Mate got hit by car, mrs not keen on me cycling anymore...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
Well, of course the severity of a crash at 90 mph is higher than at 70 mph, but risk profile is a function of both severity and likelyhood. You could just as well argue for motorways to have a 50 mph speed limit, or 30 mph, or... yes, I know, reductio ad absurdum.

But talking of the absurd, and risk profiles, time trialling on a 70 mph dual carriageway.
View attachment 589274
The severity of a crash is very high - but at quiet times, the likelyhood of a collision is low. If you wanted zero risk, you'd never leave the house... except that most accidents happen in the home!

Now for the absurd part, the above is an all purpose road with the same speed limit as a motorway ffs! Yes, I know, the speed limit for HGVs is theoretically different by 10 mph, but we all know that Joe Trucker is sat pressed against the 52 mph limiter having a "pleasant" time with his laptop on both kinds of roads.

Frankly, I'd much rather be passed at 120 mph by someone who gives a full lane change, than at 70 mph "I wasn't speeding guv" trying to occupy the same bit of road as me. In fact, if driving standards were perfect, would not speed limits be completely unnecessary, as everyone would drive an appropriate speed for the conditions?

I'd rather see the morons kept off the road, than the "oh, morons keep crashing off this corner, so we'd better put in a 50 mph speed limit to slow them down". Which works nicely, until there's a cyclist around the bend. I'd personally prefer that they hit the tree on that previous bend...

I don't think that is as dangerous as it appears. I used to occasionally cycle from Dorking to Horsham at night along the A24 which is dual carriageway for the first few miles, and the quietness of the road, the good sightlines and a whole lane to my right meant motorists had no problem avoiding me. I found the A24 section between Capel and Horsham far more nerve wracking. 50 mph speed limit but a narrow road with lots of blind corners and summits, requires far more concentration from motorists to avoid slamming into the back of me.

Punkawallah

Über Member
My take is that at some point you are going to be in an accident, so no sense worrying about it. Just ride as far as you can into the crash :-)

As far as you and the wife are concerned, all I can suggest is you talk it through. (Gods, can’t believe I’m saying this). You obviously want to ride, or you wouldn’t be here :-) When The Nice Lady sent me flying from the bike, I agreed to wear a fluorescent jersey or similar while riding. Might be an idea to discuss?

Good luck!

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
As well-known statistician David Spiegelhalter said on the radio the other day: if everyone is vaccinated then everyone who dies of covid-19 will have been vaccinated. It does not mean that vaccination causes covid-19 deaths. It just means that the small number of covid-19 deaths which do occur will be amongst vaccinated people.
Cycling is generally very safe. Accidents can occur, so some cyclists will have accidents from time to time. A broken wrist is a major inconvenience but if stopping cycling stops you exercising, the resulting cardio-vascular problems risk being far, far greater. If your wife is up to GCSE maths, this might help. We live in the deed and die in the void. Keep doing. All the best.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Cycling on major roads requires confidence, alertness. There is a increased risk due to the number of vehicles. Reduce the risk by riding on quieter lanes and or times of day (avoid peak traffic) until you have built your confidence and riding skills to help deal with busier roads.

Also be aware of early spring and winter sun levels just over the horizon. These can pose extra difficulty for both rider and drivers. Choose later morning, mid day riding for this scenario

Sharky

Guru
Cycling is dangerous, but so is every day life.
I've had more than a few spills, some ending up in hospital, but spread over 60 years (now 71) I guess not that many.
Following my last spill, I had to undergo some CT scans & investigations and some irregular cells were detected in my bladder. Since then they have been removed and I have regular check ups. But my wife says I was lucky to fall off and fracture my pelvis, otherwise the cancer cells in my bladder would have been undetected until too late.

Generally still feel fit, but compared with some of my old school mates and friends, some of who are no longer with us, I am convinced that despite all the risks, there is a net benefit in cycling.

Milzy

Guru
Get a mountain bike and enjoy the trails for a few months, maybe a year and then see if your appetite for the road returns, probably by then your wife may have relaxed some what.
I’ve seen some awful accidents out on the trails, guys been winched up into air ambulances.
I’ve got a Flare-R light which pulses out a strong red sequence of light effects. I’ve noticed drivers always are more careful around me with that on.

Solocle

Über Member
I had quite the near miss on a single carriageway yesterday.

Landsurfer

Veteran
:okay: of course it isn't... but some people will not be convinced otherwise. We have a very very long helmet thread to demonstrate this fact.

I Think;
There are many that like to portray cycling as dangerous as it gives them a sense of "daring do” ... Putting on their "Lycra of Speed", their “Mitts of Grip” and last, and most importantly ... "The Helmet of Invincibility” .. before riding out onto the dangerous road to do battle with the evil traffic.
Possibly some of our mountain bike colleagues are more inclined to take this route than most.

(David wears lycra and mitts. Helmets are optional. Other types of "daring do” are available. Matinees Wednesdays, sing Rule Britannia and God Save the Queen )

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Cycling as transport is definitely not dangerous as Landsurfer says. When you drive do you don a racing suit? When you fly a flight suit? Swimming at the pool, a scuba suit? No. Why do people dress for riding a bike?

vickster

Legendary Member
Cycling as transport is definitely not dangerous as Landsurfer says. When you drive do you don a racing suit? When you fly a flight suit? Swimming at the pool, a scuba suit? No. Why do people dress for riding a bike?
Personally I find cycling clothing more comfortable when cycling for exercise. I don’t wear jeans in the gym for the same reason, or in the swimming pool for that matter.
Not everyone is the same as you or cycles for the same reasons, as an old hippy, haven’t you realised that by now?

Last edited:

Lozz360

Veteran
Because, if cycling is your sport then you might dress accordingly as you would for many other sports. However, I don’t understand how the question is relevant to a debate on the perception of whether cycling is dangerous?

Top Bottom