Mate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I use it quite a lot, especially if I've forgotten their name. It is possibly a class based thing.
Your all my bess mates innit.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
gbb;1071131I also find myself calling the girls at work said:
I'd like to be able to call girls chicken, like that Geordie bloke out of Heartburn Hotel.

gbb

Legendary Member
A guy i used to work with would drive some of you nuts :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

He's walk up to anyone and say....'ello maaaaaate'...all drawn out :sad:

Trumpettom001

people - (and a certain select group this is) - seem to use it as an exclamation around college - i.e. stupid-bling-mobile-on-wheelz does a "drift" around the roundabout in the snow, and all the "gangsta's" all exclaim: "arrrrr maaaaate". Makes me giggle/despair for the world (depends on if it is snowing/raining/sunny at the time...)

Trumpettom001 said:
people - (and a certain select group this is) - seem to use it as an exclamation around college - i.e. stupid-bling-mobile-on-wheelz does a "drift" around the roundabout in the snow, and all the "gangsta's" all exclaim: "arrrrr maaaaate". Makes me giggle/despair for the world (depends on if it is snowing/raining/sunny at the time...)

V funny! Like one of the characters in 'shaun of the dead' when he answers the phone 'ello ma-a-a-a-a-te'

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Iv'e just remembered that my son calls his sister mate sometimes when he's being sincerely affectionate. It means different things to different people in different circumstances.
No repetition. hesitation or deviation:wacko:

ChrisKH

Guru
Don't use it that often unless I want to put someone local at ease. I have a tendancy to call ladies "love" for the same reason. Wouldn't dream of doing it at work but in certain social situations I may do so to appear more approachable. When I'm trying to help usually. Don't ask me why. Living in Essex all this time must have rubbed off.

Night Train

Maker of Things
The only times I have used 'Mate' is in PMs on another forum populated mainly by boy racer types.
Generally it is in replies along the lines of:
Yeah mate, I'll sell it ya for that and postage. Giz an address and I'll sort it.

Sort of 'When in Rome...'.

I dislike the term, particularly when females talk about 'their mates'. Mind you, I'm probably a typical grumpy female the wrong side of 40!

I don't know what I call friends particularly, depends on the occasion and mood.

snorri

Legendary Member
gbb said:
I also find myself calling the girls at work 'petal'...
back and front.
Reminds me of an interesting conversation on my first foreign cycle tour when a fellow cyclist who I had asked for directions, asked me advice on when it would be appropriate or inappropriate to address a female as petal.;)

wafflycat

Must admit, I don't like the term when it's used by a total stranger towards a third party, particularly in a situation where 'sir' or 'madam' would be more appropriate. One of WCMnr's working acquaintances, the first time he met me, referred to me as 'sweetheart'. Patronising t**t. As I am old enough to be his mother, he got my evil eye/middle-aged matron of the parish voice and was loudly informed that "Mrs Simmons" was the appropriate term as I certainly wasn't his sweetheart and he was most certainly not mine.

Top Bottom