Andy in Germany
Legendary Member
- Location
- Rottenburg am Neckar
I'm currently trying to practice the maths for parallel resistance, and the "worked examples" are frankly quite entertaining. Could someone with a more mathematical brain explain?
The equation given is:
1 / r (total) = 1 / r1 + 1 / r2 + 1/ r3
However my experience with maths is that I probably won't understand it: I just need to learn to use the equation and the number on the other end is usually the right one. However, this doesn't make sense to me because what use is knowing "1 / r (total)"?
The problem set for me was:
1 / r (total) = 1 / r1 + 1 / r2 + 1/ r3
= 0,1111 + 0,1111 + 0,1111 = 0,3333 Ω
So 1/ r (total) / 1 is 0,3333 Ω
I wasn't sure what to do with this so I looked up the solution. It said:
This didn't help, so I asked AI an AI programme. This is what AI said:
Okay, not sure how that should help, but I got:
1/r total = 0,1666 + 0,1333 + 0,5 = 0,7993Ω
But the "example" seems to go off the deep end:
Where did the "common denominator" come from, and why is it a 6? To me it looks like it substitutes a stack of random numbers to get the right answer.
Can anyone explain how to consistently use the equation to get an accurate answer? I am aware this is a sign of discalculia; I don't understand how it works and probably won't, but I've found that given the formula, with care I can get the right answer, even if it is like pulling the lever on a fruit machine.
I just need to pass the exam, have the certificate, and can get on with my real job, so any assistance is welcome.
The equation given is:
1 / r (total) = 1 / r1 + 1 / r2 + 1/ r3
However my experience with maths is that I probably won't understand it: I just need to learn to use the equation and the number on the other end is usually the right one. However, this doesn't make sense to me because what use is knowing "1 / r (total)"?
The problem set for me was:
r1 = 9Ω
r2 = 9Ω
r3 = 9Ω
Find r (Total)
1 / r (total) = 1 / r1 + 1 / r2 + 1/ r3
= 0,1111 + 0,1111 + 0,1111 = 0,3333 Ω
So 1/ r (total) / 1 is 0,3333 Ω
I wasn't sure what to do with this so I looked up the solution. It said:
r Total = 93 = 3Ω
This didn't help, so I asked AI an AI programme. This is what AI said:
For three resistors in parallel, use:
1/r total=1 / r1+1 / r2+1 / r3
Example:
R1=6 Ω,
R2=3 Ω,
R3=2 Ω
Substitute the values:
1 / r total=1/6 +1/3 +1/2
Okay, not sure how that should help, but I got:
1/r total = 0,1666 + 0,1333 + 0,5 = 0,7993Ω
But the "example" seems to go off the deep end:
Using a common denominator:
1 / r total =1/6+2/6+3/6= 1Ω
Where did the "common denominator" come from, and why is it a 6? To me it looks like it substitutes a stack of random numbers to get the right answer.
Can anyone explain how to consistently use the equation to get an accurate answer? I am aware this is a sign of discalculia; I don't understand how it works and probably won't, but I've found that given the formula, with care I can get the right answer, even if it is like pulling the lever on a fruit machine.
I just need to pass the exam, have the certificate, and can get on with my real job, so any assistance is welcome.