Maths question about setting up a Cateye

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Also relevant, our tools for measurements might be accurate but not precise, and vice versa

precision_accuracy.png

GuyBoden

Guru
Use a Surveyor's measuring wheel, it's what the Professionals use.............

(Yes, it looks very similar to the old type bike odometer, but with a mechanical cable attached to the wheel.) ^_^

measuring-wheel-tool-land-surveying-hand-tools-%25E5%2589%25AF%25E6%259C%25AC.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No need to mess about with percentages or witchcraft, it is really simple.

IF you are confident/happy that the Garmin/RWGPS figure of 40km is the 'true' figure then adjust your wheel size setting as follows

New wheel size = 2023x40.00/40.18
Good theory but a smaller wheel size will give even higher readings due to more rotations for a given distance, if you swap the 40.00 and the 40.18 around it might work better.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Good theory but a smaller wheel size will give even higher readings due to more rotations for a given distance, if you swap the 40.00 and the 40.18 around it might work better.
I could explain how wrong you are but I am going to bed after a night shift so it will have to wait. See if you can work it out for yourself in the meantime.....

Ajax Bay

Guru
NB Thread title has 'maths' in it.
the front wheel continually does the little balancing adjustments, meaning it travels further than the bike itself. It simply goes in less of a straight line.
Well if one assumes that the variation in direction of the front wheel AVERAGES (mean) at 2% the difference in measurements (between front and rear wheels/rider) would be 0.06% (ie negligible).
deal with that massive issue of the fact that GPS measures linear distance (I think), whereas a Cateye will measure actual distance your tyres have travelled. All those ups and downs....basic trigonometry innit
Well if one assumes that the climb/descent on a ride AVERAGES (mean) 2% (a @Sea of vapours hilly ride) the difference in distance (between a completely flat ride and the one with climb and descent in) would be 0.06% (ie negligible). "basic trigonometry innit" [cos 2 degrees]

Last edited:
...... the difference in distance (between a completely flat ride and the one with climb and descent in) would be 0.06% (ie negligible). "basic trigonometry innit" [cos 2 degrees]

I recall working that out a couple of years ago, after I'd accidentally missed some probably arbitrary distance goal by a couple of hundred metres, and being, whilst disappointed, distinctly unsurprised.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You'll need to consider the expansion of air in the inner tubes as temperature and barometric pressure vary. Just apply the Ideal Gas Law

PV=nRT

:okay:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
NB Thread title has 'maths' in it.

Well if one assumes that the variation in direction of the front wheel AVERAGES (mean) at 2% the difference in measurements (between front and rear wheels/rider) would be 0.06% (ie negligible).

Well if one assumes that the climb/decent on a ride AVERAGES (mean) 2% (a @Sea of vapours hilly ride) the difference in distance (between a completely flat ride and the one with climb and descent in) would be 0.06% (ie negligible). "basic trigonometry innit" [cos 2 degrees]

You do realise I wasn't being entirely serious don't you?

Top Bottom