Matt paint finish and cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amac

Hi guys,
After a very long wait since March, my LBS might have stock of some bikes in my price range and size.
I was looking at the Giant Contend SL 2 disc. I noted that the paint finish is Matt, which I don’t think I would have normally selected, looks nice thou.
I have hear differing reports on keeping them clean and keeping the Matt finish.
I thought you guys might be able to help me by giving me a bit of a steer of the pros and cons.
Cheers Alex.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I use Mr Muscle or similar glass cleaner, works a treat.

OP
OP
A

Amac

Cheers guys,
I thought I read somewhere if you used polish on the Matt finish, it made it look odd.
With my current bike, I put some polish on to make it easier washing off the muck and give the paintwork some protection.
But honesty I am no expert at all :smile:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Don’t use polish or T cut it will shine your Matt finish. I tried to remove some very fine scratches on the top tube of my Matt finish Tricross, that area is now a bit shiny!
As I mentioned above Glass cleaner works great, it removes any greasy/oily/fingerprint marks and leaves the paint Matt. The product @vickster mentions although more expensive should be good too.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don’t use polish or T cut it will shine your Matt finish. I tried to remove some very fine scratches on the top tube of my Matt finish Tricross, that area is now a bit shiny!
As I mentioned above Glass cleaner works great, it removes any greasy/oily/fingerprint marks and leaves the paint Matt. The product @vickster mentions although more expensive should be good too.
More expensive?

Drago

Legendary Member
0000 grade wite wool or ultra fine scotchbrite the remove minor scratches without compromising the matte finish.

Just wash the bike with car shampoo and dry it as normal. Theres no need to do anything else to maintain a matte finish.

Top Bottom