Mature sheep

No, not a new fetish magazine. I'm talking mutton. When I was a kid we lived in Saudi and had mutton all the time. I loved it and have been constantly disappointed that it's not available in the shops here. I went to the butchers at our local farm store and the miserable old scrote there gave me a load of grief about how people only want it because they've seen some bloke on the telly cooking it. No, you wizened old ape's ballbag, I want it because I like it. Capiche? Anyone got any ideas on how to lay my hands on some?
 
How old does it have to be to be mutton as opposed to lamb?
 

Melvil

Guest
My friend ate Mutton a lot when he lived in East Africa...usually after being introduced to it whilst it was still, ahem, alive, as a 'guarantee of quality'!
 

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Moderator
Chuffy said:
No, not a new fetish magazine. I'm talking mutton. When I was a kid we lived in Saudi and had mutton all the time. I loved it and have been constantly disappointed that it's not available in the shops here. I went to the butchers at our local farm store and the miserable old scrote there gave me a load of grief about how people only want it because they've seen some bloke on the telly cooking it. No, you wizened old ape's ballbag, I want it because I like it. Capiche? Anyone got any ideas on how to lay my hands on some?
Some time in the mid 1960s, I was so young,:evil: can't exactly remember:blush:, I lived in Jeddah, Saudi. I had the pleasure :tongue: of attending an American school for two years :smile:. I think we had Camel at some point, can't remember mutton. I vividly remember the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches :ohmy: at school for lunch. Playing baseball, and basketball etc. How long ago is it since you were there?
 

Ranger

New Member
Location
Fife borders
As yorkshiregoth says, try the Halal Butchers. The Asian supermarkets often have fantastic and good value butchers who will prepare the produce as you ask. If you are there you must also try the vegetables and fruit, when I lived near Coventry I used to take veg to the till buy it and ask what to do with it and always got a good response.

As well as mutton, try some goat it makes a great curry
 
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Speicher - I was near Dahran from 76-78. We lived very near the airbase and everything was American. I still have fond memories of all the amazing breakfast cereals, like Count Chocula when all you could get in the UK was Shredded Wheat. One of the most memorable experiences of my life was of the whole family being dragged off the street to attend a wedding reception. We were served with an entire roast sheep on a silver platter. You just had to rip off bits and roll them in the rice. It was fantastic and to this day my family talks about 'mutton grab'. :tongue:

Ta for the tips chaps. There is an Asian grocers in Exeter, but as for a Halal butcher, this is Exeter. Not the most multi-cultural hotspot in the country.

I used to live in Coventry and the indoor market there was fantastic. Some of the veg on the Indian owned stalls looked like organic sex toys and I wouldn't dare ask what to do with it for fear of getting an answer! :evil:
 

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Moderator
It would appear that you have been following me around for some time now. I lived in Coventry from approx 1967 to 1984, near the Fletchamstead Highway.

Now live not a million miles from Worcester. :evil: Very nice here.
 

Ranger

New Member
Location
Fife borders
Chuffy said:
Ta for the tips chaps. There is an Asian grocers in Exeter, but as for a Halal butcher, this is Exeter. Not the most multi-cultural hotspot in the country.
Chuffy

Go in and ask them if they have/know of a halal butcher, if it is a bit of a long way try the 'phone and ask.

As a last resort it is always asking your local curry house if they can source you some mutton (you need to be on fairly good terms with them) as you miss it so much. Curry houses will also source you herbs and spices if you ask/strike up a relationship and pass on the delivery cost of the order to you, which is fair enough if you ask me.
 

SamNichols

New Member
Location
Colne, Lancs
Chuffy said:
Speicher - I was near Dahran from 76-78. We lived very near the airbase and everything was American. I still have fond memories of all the amazing breakfast cereals, like Count Chocula when all you could get in the UK was Shredded Wheat. One of the most memorable experiences of my life was of the whole family being dragged off the street to attend a wedding reception. We were served with an entire roast sheep on a silver platter. You just had to rip off bits and roll them in the rice. It was fantastic and to this day my family talks about 'mutton grab'. :biggrin:

Ta for the tips chaps. There is an Asian grocers in Exeter, but as for a Halal butcher, this is Exeter. Not the most multi-cultural hotspot in the country.

I used to live in Coventry and the indoor market there was fantastic. Some of the veg on the Indian owned stalls looked like organic sex toys and I wouldn't dare ask what to do with it for fear of getting an answer! ;)
There's a very good butchers on Longbrook St in Exeter. If they don't have it, then they'll know where to get hold of it from, they often have venison etc. Great sausages too - also Exeter farmers' market on Thursdays. There's also that massive farm shop in between Ex and Exmouth, although it's a tad overpriced.
 
Top Bottom