Mavic in Receivership.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They've been a marketing company, rather than an engineering company, for a couple of decades. The rims aren't good for.the money and the factory wheels are riddled with design flaws.

Gunk

Guru
I disagree with “a couple of decades” 10 years ago their stuff was top notch.

Mavic open pro rims are still the default rim for a lot of independent wheel builders. Hopefully they’ll survive.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Crikey - didn't see that coming!

That said the talk of the company being passed around between owners and most recently ending up in the hands of an "investment group" speaks volumes IMO, and tbh now it's in the hands of profit-driven-parasites I fear that (in terms of supplying quality products) they're probably as good as dead regardless of what happens.

Buying cycling kit frustrates me as manufacturers' ownership and history are often far from transparent; making it difficult to gauge the integrity of a "company" that could recently have had its production quality slashed to appease profit-hungry shareholders, or worse be an old and trusted name brought back from the dead to assign undeserved recognised brand status to cheap re-badged tat and dupe the unwary into paying over the odds.

A sad sign of the times unfortunately :sad:

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Mavic open pro rims are still the default rim for a lot of independent wheel builders.
I used them once. Pretty hard to build with compared to DT (my favourite, but even more expensive than Mavic) or even cheapies like Rigida/Ryde. Cheaper Mavics are the devil's work; the time it took me to get two decent wheels from a pair was horrendous, and that was after I'd scrapped one totally for having a huge hop at the rim joint, visible before I'd started spoking it.

What a strange time we live in, massive unprecedented uptake of cycling across the world and a major component manufacturer going to the wall at the same time.
I suppose they make most of their money off the racing types, and with the cessation of all racing it does make some sense.

I always lusted after a set of Ksyrium Elites, although given how many Aksium hubs I've killed it's probably for the best that I never got my hands on any.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Argh, all my bikes run Mavic rims or wheelsets. :wacko:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Back in the eighties Mavic were making quite a wide range of components, including the earliest (Underdeveloped) electronic gears for road bikes They gradually dropped everything bar wheels and theirs are nothing special anymore so I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise. The rims like Open Pro are top class, but the market for traditional wheels has all but disappeared. The only pre builts I've had of theirs were Aksiums and I was not impressed as a rim failed at little more than a year old. They were not a patch on even the budget Shimano or Campag wheels I've used.

I guess they've just been squeezed out of the market.

Crankarm

Guru
They've been a marketing company, rather than an engineering company, for a couple of decades. The rims aren't good for.the money and the factory wheels are riddled with design flaws.

I've quite a few sets of hand built Open Pro CD wheels which have performed faultlessly. In fact I just bought another pair of Open Pro Disc tubeless rims for a wheel build. I've not been disappointed with the first pair I bought, very strong and straight. I also used to buy A719 rims which were also ok, but rather soft on the braking surface, meaning they didn't last long, but I changed to disc brakes quite a few years ago so problem has now gone. But hopefully Mavic survive. Such a big name in cycling and in France.

Top Bottom