Mavic Ksyrium Elite Disc UST Center Lock Wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
hi,

thinking of upgrading the wheels on my BMC Gran fondo 01's wheels ( shimano RX31 ). anyone had experience with these wheels.......any good. ?

iluvmybike

Über Member
Nice wheels but you are stuck with having Mavic's own tyres as they are UST type not TLR

iluvmybike

Über Member
Not true. You can use any tyre of the appropriate size on Mavic UST wheels, including non-tubeless tyres.
Worth reading this piece from Arts Cyclery on this subject: "Any rim that uses an inner lip to help lock the tire in place (i.e. Mavic UST, Bontrager, DT Swiss) should ONLY be used with tires that have a tubeless bead. The shape of the bead hook on these rims is only designed to seal with tubeless compatible or UST tires. As such, traditional tires tend not to seal and are more likely to come off the rim when riding. You may get traditional tires to seal on such a rim, but don’t confuse this with compatibility."

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Prob if you are trying to do a ghetto tubeless job using non TLR tyres

OK, I see. Not what I was suggesting though - what I meant was you can run regular clinchers with an inner tube on UST wheels. Although if you weren't intending to use them tubeless, you probably wouldn't be buying UST wheels in the first place, so that's not especially relevant.

As for tubeless set-ups, Mavic may well say that you should only use Mavic tyres, but they would, wouldn't they?

dhd.evans

Veteran
Bike back, wheels on. Bombproof, feel a little twitchy at times, not as nimble as my Fulcrum wheels. Still, durable and light.

Edit: Had some bedding in time. Twitchy does not equate to 'worrying'. They're twitchy because they're actually sticking to the road and the maneuverability and reaction speed is immense. Feel a lot more confident on these than my Fulcrums although the Fulcrums where prettier in colour...

Last edited:

rd83

I've just started using the Mavic Ksyrium Elite disc UST with the Yksion Pro UST 25mm tyres.
They are an absolute breeze to seat, no special tools or special pumps needed. Can be removed and put back on rim very easily with bare hands.
Very limited mileage so far, but wheels feel responsive. Also managed to hit a hole in the road quite hard already and no issues from that.
Tyres feel good, fast and grippy (dry only so far), but too early to say how long they'll last and how resistant they are to punctures. They are made by Hutchinson and have pretty good reviews though). They only come in 25mm with the wheelset, 28mm can be bought separately.
I've used Stans Race sealant rather than the supplied Mavic one - but I'm yet to see this in action!!

Top Bottom