Mavic Kysrium Elite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

Have a bike for bout 4 weeks now. It has wheels as per title. Went out today for my 10th ride and the squeals from my front hub were quite something ( tho intermittant .. could even cover a few km silently ). Have a supplied adjustment tool and give the bearing a few degrees tightening tonight. Spinning the wheel still brings a grating noise from hub. Only thing I really noticed was that the skewer was really, really tight ... I would never set it as tight as it was ... loosened it off a bit and went thru tightening routine once more. No joy ... still grating noise present. Any hints anyone.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shouldn't be - tightening may make it worse as these are cartridge bearings, and you only take the play out, like with cones. Back to the shop as it's 4 weeks old.

OP
OP
J

jimbut

This entry is to stop anyone else making the bloody silly assumption I made with this noise ( squeaking from front hub "area" ). I have full carbon fork ie carbon drop-outs. My local bike shop owner ( Dave Kane in Belfast ) told me to try a smidge of grease on the outer and inner faces of drop-outs. Voila Bobs your proverbial.... squeakless cycling ! My problem is I assed about with the bearing adjustment and I`ve doubtless reduced its service life. Anyhow, lesson learnt by me and a heads-up for any other would-be bearing fiddler. PS A new hub cartridge costs bout £25 or so.

Zoiders

£25 for the Fulcrum/Campag packaged ones?

whistling.gif

Change from a tenner at a bearing supplier - and that's at list and not trade price.

Top Bottom