Mavic Kysrium Pro Wheels - recurring broken spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
One of my bikes came fitted with these wheels. They're nice. Low spoke counts (18 front 24 rear) but have a recommended weight limit of 120kg (Including bike I'm abut 95kg)

Rode it for about 2 years and then broke a front spoke. Got it repaired at LBS. Then a different front spoke broke while I was braking hard on a steep descent. This time I sent it to Mavic and, to their credit, they just sent me a new wheel. I've ridden with this wheel for about 3 months and on a steep descent last weekend while I was braking hard another front spoke broke

I've contacted Mavic and they are going to treat it as a warranty item which is great of them. But I'm now wondering what's going on. When a spoke goes on these they're unrideable. Luckily the past two time have happened a couple of miles from home. But it could just as easily be 30 miles from home. The roads around here are bumpy but no more so than most country lanes. I descend (and thus brake) quickly but no more so than a lot of others. On all occasions the spoke has sheared at the point it enters the spoke nipple

So I wonder if I'm unlucky. Or is my riding style causing spoke issues. Or are the roads I ride on causing spoke issues. If I'm unlucky I'll just keep riding and take my chances that I don't break a spoke 30 miles from home. But if it's something else maybe I can mitigate the risk?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Are these the ones with the Zircal alloy spokes ? If so, that's a strong possibility of the cause. I've got Aksium and Ksyrium Equipes that have been faultless, but are stainless spokes.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I assume the front wheel is radially spoked as well. Not the best pattern for withstanding heavy braking.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I assume the front wheel is radially spoked as well. Not the best pattern for withstanding heavy braking.
IMG_20200622_110254_1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200622_110418.jpg
    IMG_20200622_110418.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 7

Ajax Bay

Guru
When a spoke goes on these they're unrideable. Luckily the past two time have happened a couple of miles from home. But it could just as easily be 30 miles from home. . . .
maybe I can mitigate the risk?
Mitigation: Get the generous warranty item and sell it, unused. Buy a wheel with more spokes, stainless not alloy, which cross. What disadvantage do you perceive?
I'm amazed you didn't do that the first time (after sequentially breaking spokes, braking).

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not sure this matters on a rim braked front wheel, but for disc brakes and a rear wheel, yes.

I've got mavic aksiums with 24x straight pull black stainless (?) spokes and these have so far been faultless despite my hooligan abuse, cyclo-cross racing, almost mountain biking trails and bunny hopping everywhere I can.
Did think I had gone too far a few weeks ago after a clumsy hop over an island at work and landed slightly crooked to be rewarded by a sickening TWOING! from back wheel. Obviously didn't stop in front of my onlooking colleagues and continued the ride home before inspecting for damage. Nothing, straight as a die and has suffered more rough rides since. :okay:
I must admit 24 spokes frighten me and 18 would have me twitching at every ripple in the road.
Maybe time to fit something less sexy and more practical @nickyboy ?

Top Bottom