Mavic recommend 28mm as minimum width of tyre for their A319s rims. Can I go lower?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
You need to measure the internal rim diameter and then read this:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Manufacturer recommendations usually err on the cautious side, but using the above information, you can make an informed decision for yourself.

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
In a quest to find the width of the rims (to save myself measuring them), I came across the self-same question on another forum. Seems to present no problems, so I'll consider this when I replace the tyres.

U

User6179

In a quest to find the width of the rims (to save myself measuring them), I came across the self-same question on another forum. Seems to present no problems, so I'll consider this when I replace the tyres.

rim A 319 ... ETRTO size 29": 622 x 19

19mm so 28mm tyre minimum going by Sheldon.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
My Dawes has a Mavic A319 front rim and I've used 25mm Michelin Pro 4 endurance/Kryllion tyres on it almost all of that time*. I'm just about to put a wheel with the same rim on the back and will also be using a 25mm Pro 4 on that one. IME it works fine :smile:

*I put 35mm Marathons on it when I go cycle touring.

vickster

Legendary Member
My Dawes has a Mavic A319 front rim and I've used 25mm Michelin Pro 4 endurance/Kryllion tyres on it almost all of that time*. I'm just about to put a wheel with the same rim on the back and will also be using a 25mm Pro 4 on that one. IME it works fine :smile:

*I put 35mm Marathons on it when I go cycle touring.
The Michelins seem to be pretty fat 25mm though

Tim Hall

I've run Speciallized Armadillo 25mm on the Mavic 719 in the past without any problems. I understand the 719 is a glitzy version of the 319.

robgul

Legendary Member
Yep - those rims with 25 Marathons are fine

I wanted to use 28mm Marathons bu the clearance on a Van Nicholas Yukon with mudguards was too tight - I am about to see if Conti Gatorskin Ultra whatever they call them now will work in 28 as they seem a bit lower profile than Marathons.

Rob

Top Bottom