Mavic XM 319 (32) Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Hi All
Not sure if this is the correct forum to be putting this simple question on so apologies if it's not !
Will I need inner tubes with the long valve for these wheels as opposed to the "standard" valve length?
I tend to just get Halfords own tubes as a rule and have a stock of standard valve tubes so the answer is bound to be that I need long valve .........
Cheers
Karl

vickster

Legendary Member
Just try with a standard valve or measure the rim depth . I have these wheels (Boardman CX) and my front valve is pretty short - what’s on the bike currently (there are several valve lengths too, what’s standard?)

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Just try with a standard valve or measure the rim depth . I have these wheels (Boardman CX) and my front valve is pretty short - what’s on the bike currently (there are several valve lengths too, what’s standard?)[/QUOTE
Hi Vickster,
Brand new bike so not sure what inner tubes are on at the moment , I am not taking the tyres off though to have a look though until the fairy comes along and make me have to :laugh:,,,,,, I will measure the rim depth and the valve length on the inner tubes I have . Will have to but some more if the valves are not long enough.
Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
The tyres are pretty unpleasant for road riding if they are the Rocket Robs. I swapped to 32mm Duranos pretty quickly

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Its got the 32mm vittoria zaffiro rigid tyres on at the moment . I actually enjoyed the 12 mile ride back on them last night in fairness but its that puncture resistance (lack of it) that worries me with them .........

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Brand new bike so not sure what inner tubes are on at the moment , I am not taking the tyres off though to have a look though until the fairy comes along and make me have to :laugh:,,,,,, I will measure the rim depth and the valve length on the inner tubes I have . Will have to buy some more if the valves are not long enough.
Cheers
??? Taking off the tyres of a new bike is part of the acceptance routine. How else are you going to check you can actually get them off with the tools you carry, talc the tyre insides and tubes and check what valve length you need as a spare?
Finding out you can't get the tyres off, or that the valve of the new tube is too short is a problem if you only make this discovery at the roadside after suffering a puncture. Don't be afraid of the tyre removal process. Repeat it until it is second nature, then punctures will hold no fear for you and experiencing one just becomes a routine procedure.
Also, while the tyres are off it is worth checking the quality of the rim tape. The OEM rim tape can be shockingly poor quality on some bikes, leading to cuts and punctures as a result.
Get the right innertube now while it is not an emergency, you will thank yourself later, and you will also not be so worried about actually getting a flat.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

I have , and always will have , a fear of punctures although I have had dozens and dozens of them ! :laugh:
I might take up your advice at the weekend though :okay:
Just read on the website that the valves are 60mm but they didn't look that long to me when I had a quick look earlier.....

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

The Halfords "standard" size valves will be fine on these rims, just had a look.
Didn't take the tyres off though tonight, had a bad day and didn't want to eisk anymore possible trauma :laugh:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

And even the thought of a p**cture brings out the fairy ! :laugh:
Had one this morning commuting in on my old bike though :evil:
Its uncanny how it happens isn't it ............. :banghead:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Aren't these rims drilled for schraeder valves? "Standard valve tubes" should be fine: the rims are not deep (?25mm?)
  • ETRTO compatible size: 559 x 19
  • Recommended tyre widths: 1.50 to 2.30

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Hi Ajax
The wheels came with Presta tubes . The 45mm presta valve appear to be long enough :okay:

Top Bottom