Max Heart rate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anton

HI all,
Not sure if this is a good thing or not. I have just started training using a turbo trainer, for my max heart rate I used the 220 - age method which would give me a max of 173 however I can only seem to get a max of 155 should I be concerned about this or am I not trying hard enough. I do have a low resting heart rate of 30/40bpm.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

davidg

I was just searching for a heart rate thread, so forgive me if I ask the question on your thread!

I worked out my heard rate walking on a threadmill - the ramp it up everything 3 mins one. yeah, yeah, I know it wasnt on a bike, but the max I had had it on a bike was the same, so I went with it!!

My max was 182. Out today going up a ridiculous hill, it got up to 185 (discovered at home reviewing).

My question, is that now my new max or have I just happened to exceed the max...ie should I be bumping up all of my training zones slightly?

oh, and Anton, you are probably not trying hard enough! turbos are not the easiest for me...you need to get out on a hill, building it up gradually and then go for it!

lukesdad

Anton there is alot of info on this in previous threads have a search and I think you ll find everything you need to know. In short your test wasn t hard enough.

515mm

Anton said:
HI all,
Not sure if this is a good thing or not. I have just started training using a turbo trainer, for my max heart rate I used the 220 - age method which would give me a max of 173 however I can only seem to get a max of 155 should I be concerned about this or am I not trying hard enough. I do have a low resting heart rate of 30/40bpm.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My ''official'' HRMax should be 181 - it ain't! It's 172. I've endured laboratory maximal HR tests and it's never gone beyond 172. My resting HR is 34. You could be a 'slow beater' like me - have you had your blood pressure checked recently? Might be worth a look.

A maximal test feels quite horrible mind. By the end - which may only take 15 mins, your breathing should be very fast and deep, your legs should burn like hell, sweat should pour off you and you should feel the first fluttering edges of panic. Only stop when you can't turn the cranks any more. You'll probably find you were able to go much harder than you anticipated.

When/if you do get your BP checked, the nurse or doctor may start asking questions about your low HR. Stuff along the lines of ''Some kind of athelete are we Mr Anton?''

I do enjoy it when someone polishes my ego. ;)

Actually, finding your aerobic/anaerobic threshold is a more useful number for training to improve CV fitness. Take a look at my posts on the Sportive threads....

Top Bottom