Max Speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ramses

44.7 mph on a mountain bike on tarmac. It was last year (London To Brighton BHF Ride), I was descending after having just climbed Ditchling Beacon.

I looked down at my speedo, and I did contemplate going faster, but the wife's words started nagging at the back of my head, so I decided to back off.

However, I now have a road bike
biggrin.gif

I have told the wife, no way would I go that fast on the road bike
whistling.gif

Hopefully she won't read this, as I probably will
wink.gif

Bodhbh

Guru
Wireless by any chance? They get set off by strobe LEDs and Taxi radios. Mine once did 72 mph on the breadbin, I think set off either by the signal from my Blackberry, or a faulty under-cupboard worktop light.

Yes, I've noticed the usual culprit for mine is checkout tills. Good place to bump up your milage in comfort :biggrin:

I did 42mph on the flat on a loaded touring bike on a last year! A thunderstorm was oncoming, lightning and blackness behind, tailwind was stripping branches off the trees, the panniers were acting like sails, and I was s***ing myself trying to outrun it. Don't think done much faster than that downhill even, I start bottling soon after 40.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My fastest was 52mph coming down the Ventoux towards Malaucene (see my avatar). The rims were quite hot when I got to bottom, but very exhilarating.

GrasB

Veteran
On the A428 (the old A428 was basically closed at the time) I hit 37.2mph on the flat - a constant stream of traffic does wonders for your speed. Normally I get into the low 40s on the short descents around here but in the Alps it was around the 60mph marker iirc.

Jonathing

Über Member
My fastest was 47mph coming down off of the South Downs north of Portsmouth, my fastest on the flat was 40mph, with a nearly gale force tail wind. I shall never forget the look on the face of the bloke on the Vespa as I pulled out, overtook him and pulled back in.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Wireless by any chance? They get set off by strobe LEDs and Taxi radios. Mine once did 72 mph on the breadbin, I think set off either by the signal from my Blackberry, or a faulty under-cupboard worktop light.

No wired ... but a couple of years old ... and it seems to have been playing up occasionally and not recording my mileage - but that's the first time it has mis-recorded the speed. I even wondered if someone had spun my wheel till I remembered I had it on my when I left my bike and I don't think you could hand spin the wheel that fast anyway.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Fasted verified was 49.6 mph down Cap Gris Nez towards Calais with a massive tailwind.
Sadly my new wireless computer packed in coming down Ventoux, but it has to be more than that - possibly 55 mph.
I'll have to go and do it again sometime. On a Brommie.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Over 50mph (I can't actually remember the exact speed), coming down Tan Hill in Yorkshire on a steel road bike with rear panniers!. I may or may not have gone faster than this but I've long since abandonned bike computers.

Norry1

Legendary Member
45mph during the Great Shakespeare ride last year. Hitting 50 is one of my targets for the year.

Martin

Top Bottom