Max Speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
hi all
my top speed was 72 mph coming down staxton hill, which joins to the a64, in north yorkshire near malton. its a long 1 in 4 hill with a very stright section near the bottom and overall maybe 1.5 to 2 mile long, it has to be my fav hill for all out speed.

second fav hill to decsend is rosedale chimney can be 50 plus if your the last of the late brakers, desending it beats riding up it.

Is it at all possible that your bike comp' is set to km/h rather than mp/h, or that an error was made when progaming in the circumference reading for your wheel? If niether of these is the case then I am extremely impressed. I've had cars that couldn't go that fast.

Just out of interest, does the date that you joined the forum have anything to do with this remarkable feat? Just asking like.

Hydra

Occasional Pepper Carver
37.6 here, coming along Hathersage Road. Would have been faster but I wimped out a wee bit
whistling.gif

my top speed was 72 mph

eek2.gif

monnet

Guru
Fire Mountain ?

Me and a mate came down there at 50-55mph overtaking cars. You do think "christ if I come off, all that lave rock does look rather sharp" :wacko:

That's exactly the one.

TBH I was pretty confident about the bike, but it was long enough for the mind to wander and I was thinking if there's something in the road and I have a blow out/ go down, that lava is nasty looking. Of course, I made it down ok, turned round and went back up!

1894mk2

I do about 33 every time I commute - very rough tarmac (not potholed just very rough consistancy) that makes me take some care.

Fastest 41.7 down Britwell hill (12% and straight) - bumps are a limiting factor.

evilclive

49 on the flat in my youth somewhere near Foxton - following a lorry. Once I gave up and dropped back, the turbulence blew my chain off :-)

55 on my own, with a nice tailwind coming from Malham to Langliffe

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=54.09694,-2.236941&spn=0.007034,0.015106&z=16

(I'd had a vicious headwind earlier climbing out of Settle going to Malham, so I think I earned the return)

62 on the tandem on the hill down to Stocks Reservoir

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=54.026075,-2.409257&spn=0.003523,0.007553&t=h&z=17

That corner at the end makes it a bit scarier, esp if there's a stream running across it.

The tandem is great for fast descents - being both faster and incredibly stable. It's kind of reassuring that if you want to brake as hard as you can, you just do.

Top Bottom