Max Speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
Don't worry about bits falling off/dropping off - front wheel blow outs are an 'issue' :evil:

Have I put anyone off yet ?

Only really an issue if you are on the brakes the whole time :tongue:

elan2011

hi all
my top speed was 72 mph coming down staxton hill, which joins to the a64, in north yorkshire near malton. its a long 1 in 4 hill with a very stright section near the bottom and overall maybe 1.5 to 2 mile long, it has to be my fav hill for all out speed.

second fav hill to decsend is rosedale chimney can be 50 plus if your the last of the late brakers, desending it beats riding up it.

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
hi all
my top speed was 72 mph coming down staxton hill, which joins to the a64, in north yorkshire near malton. its a long 1 in 4 hill with a very stright section near the bottom and overall maybe 1.5 to 2 mile long, it has to be my fav hill for all out speed.

second fav hill to decsend is rosedale chimney can be 50 plus if your the last of the late brakers, desending it beats riding up it.

Fastest i've ever heard of was 72.7mph by JJ Haedo on the Giro de Italia!

Elan, perhaps these links might be helpful to you: If you want to be the best. All you need is a little dedication

p.s is this the hill?

1474788_03ca3ee8.jpg

elan2011

yes that the hill. its not far from hull so i used to a few years ago ride up and down this hill. there are many other hill in the yorkshire wolds that allow for 50 plus speeds with out much effort.

and these 60-70 mph speeds are quite were quite normal on sunday club runs, in the early to mid 90s by most of us younger members.

would not get up to such speeds today, as i mainly ride fixed so 30 mph is about max for me now

GrasB

Veteran
In the Alps it was fairly easy to get to 60mph & at that speed I was keeping the bike speed down (no point in getting to the next junction too far in front of the ride leader). The thing is though a little more up at that kind of speed can mean an awful lot more in terms of gradient.

madguern

According to my garmin 500mph !!!! reality 40mph downhill was enough for more before i bottled it. On the flay about 30mph is max

Cheers

Rob

Top Bottom