Max Speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
:sad: Fastest I have been is 33mph, how do you lot get so high? @ 33mph cadence according to my Garmin was 93, but it felt like I couldn't get push on it and the speed of rotataing was making me quite unstable so backed off and coasted.

I am on a Roubaix comp Compact
93 rpm on what length cranks? Max RPM this morning was 137rpm on 175mm cranks, that'd be 50:14 on a compact assuming 700x23c tyres.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Regularly break 40mph on 'Otterspool' between Romiley and Marple on training rides - TBH every time I ride down there - only problem is cars - the speed limit's 40. :blush:

Often see 50 mph - Chinley Head, Chunal, Woodhead. Woodhead is good for about 55 mph, but that's wind assisted and it gets really dodgy with side winds.

Max has been just over 60 descending into Betsw-y-Coed after climbing Llanberris Pass, and we were in a group of four. No wind though - crazy pace. - Just kept shouting, 50......55.....60....whooooooo ! :laugh:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
93 rpm on what length cranks? Max RPM this morning was 137rpm on 175mm cranks, that'd be 50:14 on a compact assuming 700x23c tyres.

Not sure on the length they are Shimano 105 on a Roubaix Comp 2010

oliglynn

Über Member
49.8mph going down Chain Hill coming off the Ridgeway...

Gonna ride it again on Weds and try to beat the 50mph mark!
biggrin.gif

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
43.5, MTB on the road, somewhere near Otterburn, Northumberland, a few years back.
smile.gif

Was a bit wary of the sheep wandering about, so hit the brakes
smile.gif

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    262 bytes · Views: 46

sabian92

Über Member
Fastest I've ever done is about 16mph. That was under my own steam though on a flat. I don't like bombing it down hills - Not got great balance and knowing me I'd be killed trying to be a smart arse and go as fast as I can.

twozeronine

Only about 32mph for me. I don't think I'd have the balls to go some of the speeds posted here. Even at 32mph, irrational thoughts start popping up like "what if my front wheel suddenly falls off". :tongue:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Only about 32mph for me. I don't think I'd have the balls to go some of the speeds posted here. Even at 32mph, irrational thoughts start popping up like "what if my front wheel suddenly falls off". :tongue:

That sounds like an incredibly rational thought to have at anything over 20 mph.

The fastest I've ever recorded was about 35mph. I did it down a fairly sharp hill on a country road with a fairly crappy surface and I was terrified. The bike was a Raliegh team Panasonic completely bargain basement copy. Sachs Huret all the way and the vibrations were incredible. I say it was about 35mph because I was recording it on the old analogue speedos that read the speed from a wheel touching the front wheel (no doubt slowing me down) I might have been a little bit faster since then but haven't had any record.

Matthames

Über Member

When I am going at speed I really don't think about things going wrong like that. I usually check important things like this before I ride, so I know that the wheel is very unlikely to fall off. Having ridden motorbikes helps also.

I have had a spoke pop at 30mph before, nothing too serious came of it. As soon as I heard it ping and rattle around I brought the bike to a controlled stop. I did then have to wait a little bit after that for the rims to cool down to avoid scalding my hands whilst working on my wheel.

monnet

Guru
I hit 53mph coming down a hill with a tailwind in Lanzarote a couple of weeks ago.

I empathise with the thoughts of wheels falling off though!

First thought, 'thank god this bike is a quality, well built brand, well looked after with fully functioning kit'.

Second thought 'sh1t! It might be all those things but I put the thing together. This morning.'

Not to sure what my personal fastest has been. But my mate clocked 57.1 at the weekend on the descent from Killhope Cross throught Cowshill.

I was taking it easy as I had damaged my rear tyre, so only managed 42+. Cos it doesnt hurt if you come off at that speed :ohmy:

Top Bottom