Maximum Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brahan

Über Member
I did my first open event a couple of weeks ago. A 2up Time Trial. Managed 24 miles in 57mins 44secs. I was happy with that as an introduction to the sport!

classic33

Leg End Member
Goffins said:
28.5mph is my maximum so far on a flat, it was quite a short distance mind you and riding in roughly the same direction as the wind.

This was some weeks back so I may have another crack soon.

What bike was the wind on then?

Randochap

Senior hunter
jimboalee said:

Yes, I know. It's just that Meiffret was the man I idoized as a young 'un, in UK.

Then we have our own Sam Whittingham, just up the road from here and a personal acquaintance. He owns the record for the 200 m flying start (single rider): 132.5 km/h (82.33 mph) set on 2008-09-18

He's as well known for his Naked brand of custom bikes, one of which was recently purchased by Lance Armstrong and hangs in his shop.

Older video documentary here. Newer
here. and here.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Flying_Monkey said:
I suspect that this was caused by a malfunction going under electricity pylons or similar. There are other things that can cause this too. I've seen is happen on mine.

Mine was doing 74.1 mph on the bread bin the other day!:smile:

Cubist

Still wavin'
MacBludgeon said:
fast food???

jacket....fetching............leaving

Oh very good! :smile:

What are you doing up? Shouldn't you be saving your energy for looking after Jane and the boys?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Cubist said:
Oh very good! :smile:

What are you doing up? Shouldn't you be saving your energy for looking after Jane and the boys?

Having spent the evening ironing, and then gotten Jane up to bed, I have only recently sat down. Considered exercising my mind then thought better of it, so came to CC:biggrin:

doyler78

Last year could only manage 37.8mph this year I've got up to 44.4mph on a long but very slight downhill with a tailwind. Now my target is 50mph. On the flats - haven't a clue as I hardly even see one. Rolling terrain - up and down almost constantly.

OP
OP
D

dav1d

Came back from my Aunt's in Wythenshawe after staying over the other night. As it was late at night when I left, I just wanted to get home quickly, especially through Rusholme (usually bad drivers aplenty!).

I realised after a while that I seemed to be going faster than my 26mph max speed, so glanced at my computer: just over 31 mph. Didn't have any problems with drivers this time, but I have usually only cycled around 12 miles per hour there, so the just over 31 was nearly 3 times the normal speed I go there, so I wasn't in Rusholme half as long as usual!:angry: Probably not a great speed, but I was on my suspension mountain bike, and anyway, I'm happy with it! :biggrin:

Dave5N

Über Member
I used regularly to hit 60 when I lived in South Wales. Haven't got the bottle now. Get to the late thirties/early forties and I run out of road and I run out of courage.

That's middle age for you. And a more crowded landscape.

Top Bottom