Maximum Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
marinyork said:
Bloody hell macbudgeon, I didn't realise you rode a hybrid. You're pretty quick then.

I'm feeling love, in a manly way of course, first ever person to mention me, and quick, in one sentence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

needed a super Keith! to celebrate that one:biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
You're always near the top of cyclogs. I can understand you using a hybrid for a commute, but that sort of speed on a commute isn't bad. I thought you would be on a racing bike (and rapidly getting quicker). You'll be the new BFTB before long.

grhm

Veteran
dav1d said:
The mountain bike I used is a suspension one, though as it was a cheap £90 one and says "No stunting or jumping" on a little ticket that's on it, I doubt mine's a full suspension. Wasn't really after a suspension bike when I bought it, I just liked it! It's quite chunky and heavy though.

I think "full sus" refers to having front and rear suspension. Often you'll just get front suspension forks (i.e. a "hardtail" bike).

Bodhbh

Guru
On the road on a tourer most I've done is just over 35mph, which is when I run out of gears and the panniers start acting like a parachute. It seems almost a 'hard cap', although maybe I've just not found a steep enuff hill. On the MTB I've hit 35mph downhill on smooth grassy sections of the South Downs Way, which was pretty hairy for me at least, with the odd rabbit hole and whatnot. Not sure I'd have the balls to get past 40 anywhere even if I was on a bike that was capable of it.

Chris James

Über Member
bonj said:
my terminal velocity is about 41mph on my road bike, and strangely enough it's exactly the same on my mtb with its 2.5" tyres, presumably 'cos tyre rolling resistance doesn't make any difference at the top end.

Surely your terminal velocity is determined by the wind resistance at high speed? In which case I would have expected you to have a faster top speed on a road bike as you would (probably) have a more aerodynamic position?

I am not sure what my top speed was. I know I have been well in the 40s mph but not up to 50, although once I get above about 38 mph I start to dwell on my mortality unless the road is smooth and empty!

Randochap

Senior hunter
I've hit a maximum of 85 km/h (53 mph), on my Ciclo down a long, steep hill. That was fun, until the corner came up ... then it was a different kind of fun.

The fastest I ever went on a MTB (my Rocky Mountain Blizzard) was on a steep descent of a rutted, washed-out logging road on Central Vancouver Island -- 72 km/h (45 mph) I made the decent of that section in fine form, but when I hit the graded gravel public road and approached 70 km/h, I got sucked into some big rubble on an inside corner and (according to my ride mates) did the most spectacular "endo" never recorded on videotape! Luckily I survived with only a bruised palm and pride.

As for average speed, that depends on so many factors it is useless to quote. On a good day, on the road, on my light bike, without significant headwinds, on a relatively "flat" course (there are no flat routes here), let's say my "average" average is 26 km/hr. On a "best" day, it's 30 km/h

bonj2

Chris James said:
Surely your terminal velocity is determined by the wind resistance at high speed? In which case I would have expected you to have a faster top speed on a road bike as you would (probably) have a more aerodynamic position?

I am not sure what my top speed was. I know I have been well in the 40s mph but not up to 50, although once I get above about 38 mph I start to dwell on my mortality unless the road is smooth and empty!

normally, yes, but when i was going 42mph on the mtb I was more aerodynamic than i would normally be on the MTB since I was ducking my head right down so my nose was literally right behind the stem. An un-ergonomic position to pedal, but pedalling was pointless as with a top gear of 42x12 i was spinning out way below that speed.

Advantage of a road bike is you can maintain an aerodynamic position *while pedalling* (and in slightly more comfort).

As a side, you might be surprised what difference flappy vs. close-fitting clothing makes to rolling resistance even at low speed.

just4fun

just hit 34.1 mph on my yukon disc MTB in the new forest on monday. i was so pleased after going up the beast twice in 2 days to finally go down it.

jimboalee

To put the record straight.

There are three forces acting on a rolling vehicle which impede its motion.

1/ Rolling resistance of the tyres. - Energy to deform the rubber and absorb heat due friction with the roadsurface.

2/ Aerodynamic Drag. - The energy it takes to move the volume of air the vehicle intends to occupy and the reduction in pressure following the vehicle causing a rearward movement.

3/ Gravity. - The mass of the vehicle and the position of its 'centre of gravity' relative to its 'plan centre'. ie Angle of inclination.

All downhill velocities will be assisted by 3/, therefore elliminated from any 'speed boasting'.

Smooth clothing and 'tuck' positioning are an assistance, but valid for 'speed boasting'.
2/ is non - linear. The faster the velocity, the greater the force, and therefore the greater power is required to increase velocity. It requires more power to increase from 28 to 30 mph than it does to increase from 8 to 10 mph.

1/ is linear. If 10 Newtons are required at 10 mph, 20 N will be required at 20 mph and 30 N required at 30 mph. ( Do not take these figures at reality. They are merely to serve as an example )

I don't deal in Newtons. There is an equation to directly calculate HorsePower from Coefficient of Rolling Resistance and Coefficient of Drag.

Pf = ( Crr x (W/375) x V ) + ( CdA x (V^2/391) * (V/375) )

This is the 'Holy grail' :tongue::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

skrx

...And I thought I was going fast when I got to 50km/h going down a steep hill.

I haven't tried to beat it, since a pedestrian stepped out in front of me (and a car) at the bottom of that hill, and almost got hit by both.

I'll try and top that speed somewhere outside London ;-).

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hadn't really thought about downhill speeds off road, so took the computer with me to Dalby on Sunday. The last 5 miles of the Blue route is virtually all downhill, and maxed out at 27 mph. Just occasionally visions of your own mortality kick in when you realise you've got to jump a rain gully and there's only gravel on mud in the landing zone. Didn't need the ex-lax that afternoon.......

Top Bottom