May be a silly question about brakes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I am also a little obsessions about these things and would find it distracting to have the brake unequally adjusted - even if functionally perfect. The issue with V brakes is that when very finely adjusted, the weight and pull of the brake cable affects the balance as soon as the brake is applied and pulls it back out of balance. You can sometimes partially solve this by how the cable is routed but the only effective solution I have found is to increase the tension on the springs so that they are able to exert enough pull to overcome the cable tug. This does mean that they require slightly more pressure on the brake lever but not enough to be particularly noticeable. To make this adjustment both adjustment screws need to be turned clockwise a few turns and then fine adjust by backing off (turn anti -clockwise) whichever side is nearest to the rim. It is worth applying and releasing the brake 2 - 3 times regularly while making the adjustments.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A small note on this: the so-called Shimano method of cable tension adjustment is under the "shoe adjustment" link on there, not any of the links about cables. (And to save you clicking through, the adjusting barrel is the one usually on the lever of V-brakes, or where the cable enters the brake on calipers.) I'm not sure if that's from Sheldon's debatable view of what adjusts what or if later editing has left the pages a bit confused.

simongt

Guru
As has been mentioned, the pivot points on v brakes will fill up with crud which can prevent even braking.
Take the arms off the bike, attack the pivot ends with a 13mm paint brush liberally dosed with parraffin. You'll be surprised how much can accumulate. When clean & dried out, apply plenty of grease into the pivot assembly, reassemble back onto the bike and that should make a fair difference. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Thanks, everyone! I opened up the pivot points and made sure everything was clean and moving good. One had a bit of crud buildup, it hadn't been affecting the performance yet but it is nice to know everything is running smooth and I may have prevented future sticking.

After tightening the screws until all pads touched the rims I then backed up on the screws to create a proper gap and did this equally for all 4 pads to create the same distance from the rim. I tested the distance with a spacer slid under each and they are as close as houses. Not perfect, and I'm sure they will shift around eventually during braking and undo all my hard work, but I feel that the OCD in me is somewhat satisfied!

C R

Guru
But surely then the tread will be facing the wrong way, with unknown adverse consequences.
This is a particular problem when the tires have big obvious direction marks on the side walls, the photonic drag on the arrows turning the wrong way can be the equivalent of a 40 mph headwind. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom