may have over done it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carlfergy

after doing 44miles on sat, 27.5miles on sun and 58miles today the back of my knee hurts, do you think i've over done it or is it a problem that any one else suffers.

buggi

Bird Saviour
you've overdone it :laugh:

snorri

Legendary Member
I think you may have overdone it.:biggrin:
It is not a high mileage for many cyclists, but if you are not in the habit of doing such distances then you could expect some pain. :laugh:

Helly79

I am quite new too doing long cycle rides but have you been building up to do those miles as when I do a cycle ride I tend to build the miles up gradually. Then its not to bad on my muscles etc. My longest cycle ride has been 50 miles.

buggi

Bird Saviour
for me, my cartilege in my left knee hurts if i overdo. when i went to physio in serious pain she told me that the inner quarter of my quad muscle was not developed the same as the other 3 quarters of my quad, due to being slightly knock-knee'd on that side, and she gave me exercises to build it up.

So after the winter break, i always have to wait for that quarter to catch up and if i overdo it in the first couple of months my cartiledge starts to rub. I had a distinct pain in my knee last wednesday so have only done gentle flat rides since.

OP
OP
C

carlfergy

since march i've done several rides between 30-40miles and one 50miler, so i thought i had been building up to it. Just getting old me thinks

the_bing

Über Member
i have a habit of munching cod liver oil tablets cos i used to always get knee pain. works a treat for me but the fish burps ain't nice

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
My left knee always hurts after a long ride, or if i stand too long for that matter. Its just a case of building it up i think (well it is for me as it dosent get painful anywhere near as quickly as it used to

Globalti

Legendary Member
Check your saddle height. Pain behind knees = saddle too high.

RedBike

carlfergy said:
after doing 44miles on sat, 27.5miles on sun and 58miles today the back of my knee hurts, do you think i've over done it or is it a problem that any one else suffers.

I've got knee ache from cycling too. Feel like a dull ache behind the knee cap in my case. You don't want to know the sort of mileage i've done though.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
RedBike said:
Worth a try I suppose.

I hope they work.
Got to be better than sitting holding ice cubes on my knees all night.

your only supposed to do that for 15 minutes max or you can cause damage.

i also take iron tabs, vit c tabs(not fizzy ones as they rot teeth), cod liver oil capsules and a multivit tab.

i've given up caffeine completely (withdraw symptoms are surprisingly severe) but i do feel a lot healthier for it.

Marcus

I know what you're talking about with the caffeine - i'm pretty overweight, last year i decided to try and get fit so I dropped snacks/sweets, started eating healthy, and dropped cola, aswell as started exercising every day.

I had the most awful headaches and felt really rough, i couldn't keep it up so I fell back into the old habits.

This year I quit drinking caffeine about 2 months ago, and had the exact same thing, headaches and tiredness, it took about 3 weeks for it to pass, and about 2 weeks ago i started exercising, dropped snacks/sweets and am drinking one glass of orange juice and the rest water every day.

I've never felt better - I started off only able to cycle 2 miles, within 3 days i was doing 4 miles, and this morning i did 8 miles, and i'm still feeling good.

They give all these warnings about Nicotine and Alcohol, but it turns out Caffeine is just as bad!

adds21

Rider of bikes
That's interesting about the caffeine. I drink far, far too much coffee and often get, what I've come to recognize as, caffeine headaches if I haven't had enough during the day.

I keep thinking I should cut it out, or at least cut down...

Top Bottom