May I request...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
... that if a post is edited by moderators, the poster be notified, please? It's a pedantic thing - I have no complaints about the way anything of mine has been edited, but I'd rather delete a post than have it say something I did not intend to say.

Shaun

Founder
Can you point me to the post so I can look into it please? Or was it the post I edited?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That sounds reasonable!

---------------------------------------

Er, rather than start a new thread about another matter, I'll add my suggestion here...

Two members that I know have changed their forum names recently. It's a bit confusing when this metamorphosis takes place without any announcement.

When Rigid Raider became Globalti he at least added the tag line Formerly Rigid Raider.

The other member used to go by his real name and I can see that he might have had second thoughts about that from a privacy point of view (hence I won't name him here).

Could we have the rule that if a member wants to change his/her forum name that unless there are privacy concerns, this should be explained in a post on the forum before it happens?

For example:

Hi folks - I'm posting this as ColinJ but for personal reasons I will in future be posting under the name ColleenJ

(Er, that isn't actually the case - it's an imaginary example! :tongue:)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That sounds reasonable!

---------------------------------------

Er, rather than start a new thread about another matter, I'll add my suggestion here...

Two members that I know have changed their forum names recently. It's a bit confusing when this metamorphosis takes place without any announcement.

When Rigid Raider became Globalti he at least added the tag line Formerly Rigid Raider.

The other member used to go by his real name and I can see that he might have had second thoughts about that from a privacy point of view (hence I won't name him here).

Could we have the rule that if a member wants to change his/her forum name that unless there are privacy concerns, this should be explained in a post on the forum before it happens?

For example:

Hi folks - I'm posting this as ColinJ but for personal reasons I will in future be posting under the name ColleenJ

(Er, that isn't actually the case - it's an imaginary example! :tongue:)

Shaun

Founder
I put the "Formerly ..." system in place to do just that, identify name changes.

I'm also the only one who can perform a name change, so if I've forgotten to "tag" one, PM me and I'll rectify it.

Cheers,
Shaun :tongue:

Shaun

Founder
I put the "Formerly ..." system in place to do just that, identify name changes.

I'm also the only one who can perform a name change, so if I've forgotten to "tag" one, PM me and I'll rectify it.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Admin said:
Can you point me to the post so I can look into it please? Or was it the post I edited?

I think you edited it. I was teasing Linf about his pipelines in the Haiti DEC thread. Which I admit was mean. So fine by me, but it would be good to have a quick PM saying "your post X has been edited" so that we can opt to delete posts that, as a result of editing, say something that we did not intend to say...

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Admin said:

I think you edited it. I was teasing Linf about his pipelines in the Haiti DEC thread. Which I admit was mean. So fine by me, but it would be good to have a quick PM saying "your post X has been edited" so that we can opt to delete posts that, as a result of editing, say something that we did not intend to say...

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I suppose, though, that that would add a significant extra time burden on the Mods if they had to PM someone after each thread edit. A lot of these edits are minor (such as starring out too strong a swearword) - do they really have to PM someone each time?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I suppose, though, that that would add a significant extra time burden on the Mods if they had to PM someone after each thread edit. A lot of these edits are minor (such as starring out too strong a swearword) - do they really have to PM someone each time?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
it's a fair enough request but maybe only need apply if content was edited quite a lot rather than minor bits here and there. It's all about the meaning and the context of a thread.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
it's a fair enough request but maybe only need apply if content was edited quite a lot rather than minor bits here and there. It's all about the meaning and the context of a thread.

Shaun

Founder
The post appeared, to me, to have two parts; a dig at Linf, and a supportive encouragement for everyone to donate.

I removed the dig and assumed the rest of the post remained in context.

Are you saying the entire post was a dig at Linf?

Cheers,
Shaun :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom