May I request...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
The post appeared, to me, to have two parts; a dig at Linf, and a supportive encouragement for everyone to donate.

I removed the dig and assumed the rest of the post remained in context.

Are you saying the entire post was a dig at Linf?

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Shaun

Founder
With regard to PM'ing people when we edit posts, no, sorry, that's not something I want to institute right now.

When it was tried in the past it lead to arguments and bad feeling (you wouldn't believe how upset people got over the smallest of edits!), and I don't feel it is fair to ask volunteer moderators to do even more than they already do and to enter into PM exchanges when they are just administering the forums for free in their own time.

When a post is edited by me or the moderators a note is left to say who did it and what date/time. If you want to know why your post was edited, just PM me or the mods and we'll discuss it with you.

All edits are stored in the database and I am able to see your original post (pre-edit) so I can resolve any disputes between members and mods if someone feels the context of their post has been changed.

Cheers,
Shaun :thumbsup:

Shaun

Founder
With regard to PM'ing people when we edit posts, no, sorry, that's not something I want to institute right now.

When it was tried in the past it lead to arguments and bad feeling (you wouldn't believe how upset people got over the smallest of edits!), and I don't feel it is fair to ask volunteer moderators to do even more than they already do and to enter into PM exchanges when they are just administering the forums for free in their own time.

When a post is edited by me or the moderators a note is left to say who did it and what date/time. If you want to know why your post was edited, just PM me or the mods and we'll discuss it with you.

All edits are stored in the database and I am able to see your original post (pre-edit) so I can resolve any disputes between members and mods if someone feels the context of their post has been changed.

Cheers,
Shaun ;)

jeltz

Veteran
theclaud said:
I think you edited it. I was teasing Linf about his pipelines in the Haiti DEC thread. Which I admit was mean. So fine by me, but it would be good to have a quick PM saying "your post X has been edited" so that we can opt to delete posts that, as a result of editing, say something that we did not intend to say...

If what you said in the 1st place needed editing then perhaps it should not have been said, that way you would not have to worry about being misrepresented.

jeltz

Veteran
theclaud said:
I think you edited it. I was teasing Linf about his pipelines in the Haiti DEC thread. Which I admit was mean. So fine by me, but it would be good to have a quick PM saying "your post X has been edited" so that we can opt to delete posts that, as a result of editing, say something that we did not intend to say...

If what you said in the 1st place needed editing then perhaps it should not have been said, that way you would not have to worry about being misrepresented.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Admin said:
The post appeared, to me, to have two parts; a dig at Linf, and a supportive encouragement for everyone to donate.

Cheers,
Shaun :smile:

Fair enough Shaun. When I made the request I probably underestimated the amount of editing mods do. I've only had a handful of posts edited so I thought it was an occasional thing.

And yes, the post was essentially a dig at Linf, who is essentially a troll (albeit a loveable one). I would encourage people to donate to the DEC, but certainly not by asking, on a forum of highly variable incomes, how much people had given. Which is why I didn't like the post as it stood, as an endorsement of the OP. The dig at Linf was mean, but the issue of the gap between pledged donations and actual ones, between talking and action, is a serious issue, and the thread was in P&L. Heat of the kitchen and all that! I realise that I'm an edit pedant, and whatever Jeltz might think I generally choose my words carefully.

And now a bit off ass-kissing. I stumbled into Room 101 this morning (can't remember why) and found a few threads without which the rest of the forum will certainly be a better place. Nipped in the bud, as it were. Excellent work!

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Admin said:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Fair enough Shaun. When I made the request I probably underestimated the amount of editing mods do. I've only had a handful of posts edited so I thought it was an occasional thing.

And yes, the post was essentially a dig at Linf, who is essentially a troll (albeit a loveable one). I would encourage people to donate to the DEC, but certainly not by asking, on a forum of highly variable incomes, how much people had given. Which is why I didn't like the post as it stood, as an endorsement of the OP. The dig at Linf was mean, but the issue of the gap between pledged donations and actual ones, between talking and action, is a serious issue, and the thread was in P&L. Heat of the kitchen and all that! I realise that I'm an edit pedant, and whatever Jeltz might think I generally choose my words carefully.

And now a bit off ass-kissing. I stumbled into Room 101 this morning (can't remember why) and found a few threads without which the rest of the forum will certainly be a better place. Nipped in the bud, as it were. Excellent work!

yenrod

theclaud said:
... that if a post is edited by moderators, the poster be notified, please? It's a pedantic thing - I have no complaints about the way anything of mine has been edited, but I'd rather delete a post than have it say something I did not intend to say.

2nd'd !

yenrod

theclaud said:
... that if a post is edited by moderators, the poster be notified, please? It's a pedantic thing - I have no complaints about the way anything of mine has been edited, but I'd rather delete a post than have it say something I did not intend to say.

2nd'd !

yenrod

theclaud said:

2nd'd !

theclaud said:

If the images of any disaster has touched me, it is that of this unfolding in Haiti :biggrin: . The people there will need help for many months/years to come, and waiting another week or so in the grand scheme for my contribution will make very little difference realistically to their plight given the resonse from the major aid agencies who are rallying together.
Given I am supporting a family (and now also a Grandchild), My pipeline has existing pressing demands so I already have more than my own personal and selfish needs to attend to on the back of the seasonal break and all that it entails. Your comments were uncharitable and mean spirited.

theclaud said:

If the images of any disaster has touched me, it is that of this unfolding in Haiti :ohmy: . The people there will need help for many months/years to come, and waiting another week or so in the grand scheme for my contribution will make very little difference realistically to their plight given the resonse from the major aid agencies who are rallying together.
Given I am supporting a family (and now also a Grandchild), My pipeline has existing pressing demands so I already have more than my own personal and selfish needs to attend to on the back of the seasonal break and all that it entails. Your comments were uncharitable and mean spirited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom