Maybe I’m Over reacting but…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you increase the size of a Maxi by a similar percentage as they increased the size of the Mini it would probably end up something like an Audi Q7.

And have less interior space than the original Maxi!

On the other hand, it would work.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I was a kid there was a lady who lived opposite us who drove a Maxi. Their house had a low wall around the garden with a small dumpy brick gatepost sort of thing which she repeatedly demolished with her Maxi. So they were pretty tough.

tyred

Legendary Member
The Maxi was a great design badly executed IMO. It was years ahead of it's time. Front wheel drive with and end-on gearbox with cable gear change, hatchback design with great use of interior space. It also had independent suspension while Ford were building their cars with cart springs.

Sharky

Guru
I have fond memories of A40's. My dad had one and we drove one when first married. Must have been one of the first hatchbacks. We'll ahead of its time.

And I'm sure it had more storage space than the Suzuki s-cross we have now. But nothing beats our old Peugeot 505 Family Estate with 3 rows of seats. Now sadly in car heaven.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
The Maxi was a great design badly executed IMO. It was years ahead of it's time. Front wheel drive with and end-on gearbox with cable gear change, hatchback design with great use of interior space. It also had independent suspension while Ford were building their cars with cart springs.
Never owned one, but for a lanky person like me the knee space in the back was great . The 1750 version had a surprising turn of speed and I think a 5 speed gearbox.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have fond memories of A40's. My dad had one and we drove one when first married. Must have been one of the first hatchbacks. We'll ahead of its time.

And I'm sure it had more storage space than the Suzuki s-cross we have now. But nothing beats our old Peugeot 505 Family Estate with 3 rows of seats. Now sadly in car heaven.

My father had one.

I remember sitting on the flip down bit of the 'hatch' munching sandwiches by the side of the A2 on the way to Broadstairs back in the 60's.

That was a rare and big day out and eating on the verge of an A road was common - oh how times have changed.

Mr Celine

Discordian

The gearbox was in the sump. The Maxi Mrs Celine had used the 'improved' rod operated gearbox, with the choice of 5 speeds randomly selected using the porridge spirtle. Three of those gears still had synchromesh. The iron filings generated by the frequent grinding of gears end up in the engine oil, though it was continually being replaced as it burnt a litre of oil every 250 miles.

Slick

Guru
The gearbox was in the sump. The Maxi Mrs Celine had used the 'improved' rod operated gearbox, with the choice of 5 speeds randomly selected using the porridge spirtle. Three of those gears still had synchromesh. The iron filings generated by the frequent grinding of gears end up in the engine oil, though it was continually being replaced as it burnt a litre of oil every 250 miles.

Shouldn't have been too much of an issue as my dad emptied the sump out every other week if he went near a farm road. I think the sump put the Maxi in the same category as a formula 1 car in terms of ground clearance. :eek:

simongt

Guru
And let's not forget the Austin 2200, basically a super Maxi and often fondly referred to as 'the shed'; maybe something to do with it's size and internal capacity - ? :laugh:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
And let's not forget the Austin 2200, basically a super Maxi and often fondly referred to as 'the shed'; maybe something to do with it's size and internal capacity - ? :laugh:

We should learn from our mistakes, not repeat them.

Top Bottom