Maybe I’m Over reacting but…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So why why why is is much much bigger?

Possibly because it's German. German cars are primarily built for the German market, and as is well known many German Autobahns have no speed limit, so cars tend to be built big and with lots of crumple zones because there's a sort of religious belief that if you have a solid car then even if you have a high speed crash you'll be fine.

The 12 deaths per day in Germany due to motor vehicles gives the lie to this, but that seems to get ignored.

The result is that when BMW got hold of the mini they had to build it like it was on steroids because they knew people would assume they could safely drive at over 200km/h in it, and Smart makes a great deal of the "safety cage" and other things in their cars, because you can't suggest people just drive a bit more responsibly, my goodness no.

The other side effect is that when you get a German car built to race down autobahns and drive it in a British high street it's somewhat out of scale.

icowden

Veteran
Possibly because it's German. German cars are primarily built for the German market, and as is well known many German Autobahns have no speed limit, so cars tend to be built big and with lots of crumple zones because there's a sort of religious belief that if you have a solid car then even if you have a high speed crash you'll be fine.
I did find an article which suggested that they wanted to market it to the USA and felt that it needed to be large enough to appeal to Americans.

tyred

Legendary Member
A Mini is all right but personally I'm waiting for the new Morris Marina to be launched. I'm sure it would sell well.

I don't usually dive in to these sorts of threads, but on this one I'll bite, so here goes.

...why would a cycle club decide to ride out of a very busy beach resort up a really steep and winding A road at lunchtime on a Saturday in August
Because it's not a Motorway so they're allowed to ride there?

...and on what planet would any cyclist think it OK to undertake the cars trying to weave safely through the gaps in the traffic?
One where filtering is permitted by the Highway Code, i.e. this one. You do imply they were trying to do it safely, after all

Come on guys, you genuinely are putting lives at risk . Where’s the risk assessment on that cool idea?
Was it definitely a club? Your jumping to the need for a Risk Assessment could be misconstrued as "'elf and safety gawn mad, guv"

Train on the hill midweek when it’s quiet by all means but mid August Saturday lunchtime??
Maybe they didn't realise they apparently aren't allowed on that road on Saturday lunchtimes in mid-August?

Why put everyone at needless risk? You should not be there...
Really? On whose authority? Again, maybe they missed the sign saying they're not allowed there?

...but I bet you’d blame the car driver if it all went wrong. And yes, I am a runner, long distance cyclist, motorcycle rider, and car driver.
Sorry, but this smacks of "I can't be racist, I've got black friends" to me.

Rant over? Nearly. If a teacher put a KS4 group in that situation they would be instantly dismissed but apparently it’s ok to choose that route cos you’re all adults? I know, I am a KS4 teacher. You better be certain you have no teens riding out with you
Slightly tangential, but most employers who don't want to end up in an Employment Tribunal don't instantly dismiss anyone these days. It's suspend and investigate, invite to disciplinary, hold hearing, communicate decision and offer right of appeal.

All of that said, if it was a club and their choice of ride was just adding to the Daily Mail-fuelled culture war against cyclists, then perhaps a reasoned email to an officer of the club would be a more productive course of action? We all see fellow cyclists doing dumb shoot at times which does none of us any favours, but personally I draw my anger threshold along the lines of the law - i.e. RLJ, pavement riding, lightless nijaing and littering etc, not just "being out for a ride on a busy Saturday in August". YMMV

People think I'm bonkers for cycling to work here in the west midlands. But actually there is so much traffic it's never going quicker than 11mph ! So if anything does hit you it's likely to be low impact.

Furthermore stats suggest the quiet rural roads are more dangerous for cyclist - as in general you have less traffic but traveling at high speeds.

What looks more dangerous - sometimes isn't.

It's not very big on the inside though.

The original Mini was a masterclass in space efficiency. The modern Mini is a masterclass in space inefficiency.

It's also not "mini" any more. Wonder if BMW own the naming rights to that other British Leyland stalwart..."maxi"

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Clearly my underlying stress levels are still very high after an interesting teaching year and coming from an environment where all trips are highly risk assessed has made me hyper sensitive. Thing is, the Mountain near me has had 6 cycle/vehicle coming togethers that have been fatal or very near fatal in the last few years so riders cycling with complete disregard to their personal safety when there is a dedicated cycle route available is something I find irksome. Undertaking, riding in a driver blind spot while going uphill on a narrow busy road? Love to see that one being justifiable. You wanna overtake them then over take, do it properly. I worked in industry a long time and when I broke health and safety rules I was (correctly) reprimanded, the HSO always said 2 things, the health you protect is your own, and, if you’re dead, other people will have to clean up your mess.

Emotional reasoning, if you feel something is the truth you then believe that what you feel is the objective truth, however in the real world you can't police what other people think and feel, even if you feel it's dangerous and irresponsible to ride a bike in that location at that time of day, it won't necessarily be a feature in other peoples reasoning when they make decisions, it might be dangerous, it might not, but you cannot take those decisions away from the people making them.

Emotional reasoning often feeds anxiety, which drives more emotional reasoning, and perhaps if it's persistently preventing you from doing things you might enjoy (such as a Saturday bike ride with the club to the beach) it could be considered a problem.

*I am not a doctor

Last edited:
Top Bottom