Maybe I’m Over reacting but…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If those of us already on the planet all tried to look after each-other (and the eco-sphere as a whole), we wouldn't have half the mess we are currently in.

Why not tackle that AS WELL AS population control?

(Surely you're not using future population growth as an excuse for the damage you're doing now. Surely ... )
Quite. There was a thread on Twitter recently about the carbon footprint of Grand Tours (Helicopters, swarms of camper vans and so on). Among the responses: "Yeah, but what about Formula One eh?" :rolleyes:

If it's not the population it's the Chinese, or the Americans, or the Welsh ...

(OK I made that up. I don't think many people are blaming the Welsh specifically for climate change)

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The reality sadly is that until most people are standing knee deep in water or some other catastrophic event standing there going 'How did this happen! I use a bag for life.' Nothing will change and it will be someone else's problem.

icowden

Veteran
Bigger unit size equals more profit for manufacturers and people tend to buy what they are offered.
I'm not convinced. Safety regulations have changed a lot since the 1960s. IIRC one of the key things that has made modern cars much bigger are the requirements for side impact protection, airbags etc. In the 70s there was a 55% chance of a fatality in a crash. That's now down to 26%.

Example- a 1970s Mini in a crash at 70mph, its unlikely that anyone is getting out alive. A 2020 Mini in a crash at 70mph, you stand a good chance. The 1970s mini will look less damaged but with no crumple zones, airbags etc...

If those of us already on the planet all tried to look after each-other (and the eco-sphere as a whole), we wouldn't have half the mess we are currently in.

Why not tackle that AS WELL AS population control?

(Surely you're not using future population growth as an excuse for the damage you're doing now. Surely ... )

Climate Change isn't the only reason to avoid unnecessary car journeys; if anything it's the cherry on the cake.

There's the finite nature of oil and the localised damage done by motor vehicles to infrastructure and buildings, the way roads can cut communities in half and the danger to public health; if you plot the childhood Asthma cases in Stuttgart they cluster along the main roads through the city.

I've had to call an ambulance for my 6 month old baby because they couldn't breathe due to vehicular air pollution and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

tyred

Legendary Member
A 1970s Mini still offers more crash protection than my Raleigh.

Is it right that drivers can consume even more of the world's resources and take up more road space than necessary as well as causing more harm to other road users by driving around in a two-ton personal safety capsule rather than take responsibility and slow down, pay attention and show consideration?

Think how fuel efficient modern cars could be if they were still the size and weight of the original Mini.

Bigger unit size equals more profit for manufacturers and people tend to buy what they are offered.

Big SUV's are absurd conveyances imo, ditto very high performance cars.

I'm not convinced. Safety regulations have changed a lot since the 1960s. IIRC one of the key things that has made modern cars much bigger are the requirements for side impact protection, airbags etc. In the 70s there was a 55% chance of a fatality in a crash. That's now down to 26%.

Example- a 1970s Mini in a crash at 70mph, its unlikely that anyone is getting out alive. A 2020 Mini in a crash at 70mph, you stand a good chance. The 1970s mini will look less damaged but with no crumple zones, airbags etc...
Yes, of course crash safety has increased: but the size increase of your 2020 Mini goes nowhere near justifying the sizes of many SUVs.

As you well know, a modern Mini can often look overwhelmed by its neighbours on many high streets (especially more affluent ones)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The size of a modern Mini isn't all down to safety features. Some of it is design choice as well. That's why its far from the smallest car on the road, which the original Mini may well have been in its day (bubble car oddities aside)

A lot of it is also down to the various developments which have increased performance, fuel efficiency and emissions. Look under the bonnet of a car from the sixties or seventies and you could fit a pool table beside the engine. Now you have a job getting your hand in even far enough to change a light bulb.

And don't forget, 62% of the population are overweight with 25% classed as obese. That was far from the case fifty or sixty years ago when the average Joe could fit into a mini or an Imp and get out again without needing medical treatment.

the various developments which have increased performance, fuel efficiency and emissions.

And still we have children being rushed into hospital with breathing difficulties due to vehicular air pollution.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Big SUV's are absurd conveyances imo, ditto very high performance cars.

Even "green" Tesla produce a 1020hp 200mph monster.

Insanity.

I was astonished to be passed by someone driving a Tesla at 100+ mph on the M65. I had never imagined a Tesla could go that fast or that someone with an interest in being green would behave this way.

At least I can add Tesla to BMW, Audi and Mercedes as cars driven by dickheads.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

A smart car meets modern safety standards. Let’s not say the size of modern cars is to do with safety.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I was astonished to be passed by someone driving a Tesla at 100+ mph on the M65. I had never imagined a Tesla could go that fast or that someone with an interest in being green would behave this way.

At least I can add Tesla to BMW, Audi and Mercedes as cars driven by dickheads.

Teslas are bought as a status symbol. Using something that large and heavy to move a single person round is hardly green.

Top Bottom