Maybe I’m Over reacting but…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuckinthemud

Regular
But why would a cycle club decide to ride out of a very busy beach resort up a really steep and winding A road at lunchtime on a Saturday in August, and on what planet would any cyclist think it OK to undertake the cars trying to weave safely through the gaps in the traffic ? Come on guys, you genuinely are putting lives at risk . Where’s the risk assessment on that cool idea? Train on the hill midweek when it’s quiet by all means but mid August Saturday lunchtime?? Why put everyone at needless risk? You should not be there but I bet you’d blame the car driver if it all went wrong. And yes, I am a runner, long distance cyclist, motorcycle rider, and car driver . Rant over? Nearly. If a teacher put a KS4 group in that situation they would be instantly dismissed but apparently it’s ok to choose that route cos you’re all adults? I know, I am a KS4 teacher. You better be certain you have no teens riding out with you

I don't usually dive in to these sorts of threads, but on this one I'll bite, so here goes.

...why would a cycle club decide to ride out of a very busy beach resort up a really steep and winding A road at lunchtime on a Saturday in August
Because it's not a Motorway so they're allowed to ride there?

...and on what planet would any cyclist think it OK to undertake the cars trying to weave safely through the gaps in the traffic?
One where filtering is permitted by the Highway Code, i.e. this one. You do imply they were trying to do it safely, after all

Come on guys, you genuinely are putting lives at risk . Where’s the risk assessment on that cool idea?
Was it definitely a club? Your jumping to the need for a Risk Assessment could be misconstrued as "'elf and safety gawn mad, guv"

Train on the hill midweek when it’s quiet by all means but mid August Saturday lunchtime??
Maybe they didn't realise they apparently aren't allowed on that road on Saturday lunchtimes in mid-August?

Why put everyone at needless risk? You should not be there...
Really? On whose authority? Again, maybe they missed the sign saying they're not allowed there?

...but I bet you’d blame the car driver if it all went wrong. And yes, I am a runner, long distance cyclist, motorcycle rider, and car driver.
Sorry, but this smacks of "I can't be racist, I've got black friends" to me.

Rant over? Nearly. If a teacher put a KS4 group in that situation they would be instantly dismissed but apparently it’s ok to choose that route cos you’re all adults? I know, I am a KS4 teacher. You better be certain you have no teens riding out with you
Slightly tangential, but most employers who don't want to end up in an Employment Tribunal don't instantly dismiss anyone these days. It's suspend and investigate, invite to disciplinary, hold hearing, communicate decision and offer right of appeal.

All of that said, if it was a club and their choice of ride was just adding to the Daily Mail-fuelled culture war against cyclists, then perhaps a reasoned email to an officer of the club would be a more productive course of action? We all see fellow cyclists doing dumb shoot at times which does none of us any favours, but personally I draw my anger threshold along the lines of the law - i.e. RLJ, pavement riding, lightless nijaing and littering etc, not just "being out for a ride on a busy Saturday in August". YMMV

markemark

Über Member
I mabe overreacting but I was cycling to work and all the drivers were out going to the beach or the shops or to see friends. Did they have to do it when I was going to work? I think drivers should only be allowed to drive between 11am and 3pm unless they’re driving to work.

When these drivers get out of their cars I often cycle straight at them for getting in my way. Do they not realise how much danger they’re putting themselves and their passengers in? I hope none of these reckless drivers have kids in their cars as it’ll be their fault if I cycle into them when they get out of the car.

Last edited:
But why would a cycle club decide to ride out of a very busy beach resort up a really steep and winding A road at lunchtime on a Saturday in August, and on what planet would any cyclist think it OK to undertake the cars trying to weave safely through the gaps in the traffic ? Come on guys, you genuinely are putting lives at risk . Where’s the risk assessment on that cool idea? Train on the hill midweek when it’s quiet by all means but mid August Saturday lunchtime?? Why put everyone at needless risk? You should not be there but I bet you’d blame the car driver if it all went wrong. And yes, I am a runner, long distance cyclist, motorcycle rider, and car driver . Rant over? Nearly. If a teacher put a KS4 group in that situation they would be instantly dismissed but apparently it’s ok to choose that route cos you’re all adults? I know, I am a KS4 teacher. You better be certain you have no teens riding out with you

Is it any worse than people in cars deciding to go to the beach and causing congestion and parking issues ?

D

Deleted member 26715

What's a KS4 teacher.

When I was a lad they were just called teachers.

They spend all year teaching 30 kids how to say & write KS4 you know these teachers & underworked & overpaid.

Top Bottom