Maybe I’m Over reacting but…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Too many people, too little space on UK's roads and yet people persist in buying ever bigger vehicles - and manufacturers appear to encourage this. Check out the size of many EV status symbols so desired by many. Many of the B roads I ride on are no longer wide enough for cars to pass each other, the width of the SUV (!) being more than half the width of the road. Madness! Perhaps tax by area of road space occupied would be a good idea.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Too many people, too little space on UK's roads and yet people persist in buying ever bigger vehicles - and manufacturers appear to encourage this. Check out the size of many EV status symbols so desired by many. Many of the B roads I ride on are no longer wide enough for cars to pass each other, the width of the SUV (!) being more than half the width of the road. Madness! Perhaps tax by area of road space occupied would be a good idea.

Bigger unit size equals more profit for manufacturers and people tend to buy what they are offered.

Big SUV's are absurd conveyances imo, ditto very high performance cars.

Even "green" Tesla produce a 1020hp 200mph monster.

Insanity.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I might think you're strange because you can't understand the pleasure in driving something you enjoy, but I don't because you're different to me, so you need to realise it's not that difficult to get your head round.

Is riding a motorcycle the same in your eyes or can you understand that concept?

I've never ridden a motorcycle. :biggrin:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No, but you know they exist and that they're probably ridden mainly for pleasure so was asking whether you thought that weird?

On the basis that I've never done it I'm going to tentatively class riding a motorbike for its own sake as "different". Driving a car for its own sake, with no useful destination, remains firmly in the "weird" category I'm afraid. Along with recreational hoovering. :smile:

It may be my autism but I find concentrating on a technical task extremely relaxing. So going for a drive is good for me.

When I was commuting to Manchester, compared to the rigmarole of family life it was the most relaxing part of my day.

Given the slapdash approach most regular drivers take - and their desire to be distracted by gadgets of all varieties - I think you're in the minority there!

[but it is an interesting testament, thankyou.]

figbat

Slippery scientist
I love driving. Not just fast, but well. I used to relish the regular IAM driving assessments that we used to have to have at work if driving on business and I used to get good marks too. I love the challenge of driving well, of anticipating, of reading the road, of picking the best lines, of keeping stress out of it and simply passing through other people's lives with minimal impact. I love driving a favourite road when it's quiet and dry, I love towing a caravan, I love making best progress through a town or city by reading the road, reading other drivers' behaviours, anticipating traffic lights, picking the best lane to be in. I love coaxing the best out of a vehicle, be it best performance for the situation, best efficiency, best comfort. I used to go 'out for a drive' all the time as a younger person, just to be immersed in the thing I loved doing and was increasingly good at.

Now I don't drive just for fun, but I still make sure to enjoy the driving I have to do and will sometimes choose a route based on the fun and pleasure it will give me rather than the time or distance it covers. I also ride a motorbike now and almost all of my miles on that are recreational.

I know I am not alone - the whole car 'cruise' scene is this. Car meets. Car enthusiast gatherings. Not weird, just not for everyone.

Actually that wasn't my point at all. My point was that driving a car is an awful stressful - and expensive - experience (especially with all these bloody cyclists on the road getting in the way). I can't see why anyone would ever do it for fun.

Cycling my local roads is also unpleasant and stressful - not expensive though - but after about an hour's riding I finally escape.

Thanks for the clarification @Dogtrousers. I'm with you on that aspect: thankfully I live and when necessary, drive, in a predominantly rural area but being in charge of a ton of lethal metal is never something I take lightly.

So it's (Subjectively) stressful and expensive, and causes unnecessary pollution, noise and damage, and uses finite resources. Oh, and it's dangerous.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I love driving. Not just fast, but well. I used to relish the regular IAM driving assessments that we used to have to have at work if driving on business and I used to get good marks too. I love the challenge of driving well, of anticipating, of reading the road, of picking the best lines, of keeping stress out of it and simply passing through other people's lives with minimal impact. I love driving a favourite road when it's quiet and dry, I love towing a caravan, I love making best progress through a town or city by reading the road, reading other drivers' behaviours, anticipating traffic lights, picking the best lane to be in. I love coaxing the best out of a vehicle, be it best performance for the situation, best efficiency, best comfort. I used to go 'out for a drive' all the time as a younger person, just to be immersed in the thing I loved doing and was increasingly good at.

Now I don't drive just for fun, but I still make sure to enjoy the driving I have to do and will sometimes choose a route based on the fun and pleasure it will give me rather than the time or distance it covers. I also ride a motorbike now and almost all of my miles on that are recreational.
^^This^^

And if you're worried about climate change start campaigning for people to have fewer children. If the birth rate continues to rise as it has during my time on the planet we're on course for a world population of 20 billion by the end of this century, many times more that the planet can sustain no matter how green we become.

And if you're worried about climate change start campaigning for people to have fewer children. If the birth rate continues to rise as it has during my time on the planet we're on course for a world population of 20 billion by the end of this century, many times more that the planet can sustain no matter how green we become.
If those of us already on the planet all tried to look after each-other (and the eco-sphere as a whole), we wouldn't have half the mess we are currently in.

Why not tackle that AS WELL AS population control?

(Surely you're not using future population growth as an excuse for the damage you're doing now. Surely ... )

Top Bottom