Maybe I’m Over reacting but…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Literally nobody here has suggested banning cars, so suggesting that they have is ludicrous.

I think you will find that the use of the word 'ban' in relation to cars has cropped up on the forum on more than the one (clarified) occasion cited above.

I also mentioned the Jeremy Vine show and the same applies.

Are you saying that cars are indeed okay? It seems that you are.

If so, do we agree that they are very useful for many people but that we just need to do it better?

By better I mean that cars need to be more environmentally friendly, more utility focused and more relevant to their intended use.

If so, do we agree that they are very useful for many people but that we just need to do it better?

By better I mean that cars need to be more environmentally friendly, more utility focused and more relevant to their intended use.

Using them less would be more effective. Your plans can make a contribution .. although I worry they will always be resource-hungry, as you are likely building something new, in an effort to damage the planet less!
And using them less is generally a win for the people who really need them - EVERYBODY's happy :smile:

The problem with guns unlike cars is that their sole reason for existing is to kill. They have no other purpose. Handled correctly, they kill even better.
Cars were designed and built for transportation.

Isn't that the bullets that do that, rather than the gun, which is only really a rubbish bat.

Ban bullets, that's what I say. :okay:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Isn't that the bullets that do that, rather than the gun, which is only really a rubbish bat.

Ban bullets, that's what I say. :okay:

Well, the bullet isn't that harmful. It's the cartridge with the bangy stuff that makes the bullet go fast that is the real danger. Without the cartridge the bullet is just going to hurt you if you tread on it in your bare feet.

Ban bangy stuff.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Well, the bullet isn't that harmful. It's the cartridge with the bangy stuff that makes the bullet go fast that is the real danger. Without the cartridge the bullet is just going to hurt you if you tread on it in your bare feet.

Ban bangy stuff.

And the bangy stuff isn't that dangerous until is it confined in a chamber and some kind of impact ignites it - this is what the gun does. Now we're full circle - ban guns!

Jody

Stubborn git
I believe you have to read it in context, he is quoting not making a statement

The highlighted text was pointing out that RT stated they don't really have a problem with leisure driving but find it a weird thing to do.

The reply said it's dangerous.

Not sure what I've missed?

Ban bangy stuff.

Ah, but that bangy stuff on it's own is just...well bangy until it's set behind the projectile, and in the right environment.

Ban environments, that's the answer.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

As above...

The presence of motorists causes roads to be dangerous to others, notably cyclists and pedestrians.

That has a huge impact on the freedom of those people to use the roads.

But also...

We can just ban guns, we don't want to do that with cars. Or I don't, at least.

The current prevalence of car ownership and usage massively impacts both drivers and wider society and the environment in a negative way.

Reducing the number, usage, speed and size of vehicles will likely add to the sum of human happiness and wellbeing.

I think that's consistent and hopefully clear?

Of course, we're well away from the original OP, but I'll note that the root cause of their distress was not the cyclists, but the volume of traffic.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
RT stated they don't really have a problem with leisure driving but find it a weird thing to do.

Not me. The only thing I claimed was weird was sitting down in the road to have your photo taken, using an approaching cyclist (me!) as background. I maintain that is properly weird. I was at the time doing 100 hilly miles on a bike for pure enjoyment. Most people would think that weird, I reckon.

I've no idea what Jowwy is on about, gave up a few pages ago.

Jody

Stubborn git
Not me. The only thing I claimed was weird was sitting down in the road to have your photo taken, using an approaching cyclist (me!) as background. I maintain that is properly weird. I was at the time doing 100 hilly miles on a bike for pure enjoyment. Most people would think that weird, I reckon.

I've no idea what Jowwy is on about, gave up a few pages ago.

Apologies. I meant DTs highlighted post.

It's a bit weird taking photos as you describe. But whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Maybe they have a lycra fetish.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
There is a lot of anti-car rhetoric on this forum though......which shows in how some people think, you cant just go out for a drive in your car.

It's not the anti car thing, I was getting at. More the fact that the OP was moaning about roads being clogged up on a weekend (the horror of it all), then contributing to the problem... and moaning a lot!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
It's not the anti car thing, I was getting at. More the fact that the OP was moaning about roads being clogged up on a weekend (the horror of it all), then contributing to the problem... and moaning a lot!

I wasnt picking on your post, i was commenting on the whole forum being anti-car……there is a lot of it in here and as you can see, within the thread too.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's turning into one of those threads. "But did you not read my reply on page 76". Please mods. Save us from ourselves.

The highlighted text was pointing out that RT stated they don't really have a problem with leisure driving but find it a weird thing to do.

Not me. The only thing I claimed was weird was sitting down in the road to have your photo taken, using an approaching cyclist (me!) as background.
It was me!

I was the one who made a quick post saying that "going for a drive" - just driving with no destination - was a weird thing to do. I regret it now.:laugh:

I still think that. But then I hate driving and live in a congested city where driving is a pain, and where there is excellent public transport, so I very rarely actually use my car. I do accept that some other people have different perspectives. But that doesn't mean they aren't weird.

Last edited:
Top Bottom