Maybe something for next spring.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I bumped into an old mature student of mine last week who is also a cyclist. He was on his way to meeting an over 60's club. They meet every Wednesday at 11am in Pensarn ( 7 miles from where I live) and ride to Point of Ayr, a 42 miles return ride. I thought I might meet them next spring, when the weather improves and give it a go. I won't be doing it every week though as I don't like committing myself unreservedly.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why do you need to wait until spring if the weather's ok?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Already by tomorrow?

How fast do they do the distance? Can't imagine it's 20mph
Why not? Within my club we have a group of pensioners, I'm one, who regularly ride at what's referred to as "pensioner's pace."

Flat rides we will be moving at 18-22mph depending on conditions and usually return home with an average of 16.5+

One of our most enjoyable rides this year was 108 miles at 17.0 avg. We had a 17.6avg for the first 95 miles and then hit town traffic on the way home.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
You do make me laugh @gavroche . You live somewhere with the mildest winter weather in the UK but it's still too cold for you!
I bet there are plenty of days when the NCN5 would be lovely in the winter. Imagine it without the hordes of tourists !
Hi @nickyboy, it is not the cold that worries me but the consequences of the cold like dead leaves, frost and wet surfaces . :okay:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
like dead leaves, frost and wet surfaces
Just don't swoosh round the bends the way you want to swoosh. Take it a tad slower :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
Dont ride faster than you can see to be clear, do all your braking while vertical and travelling in a straight line and remember that a change of colour indicates a change of grip. Sheesh, it's a wonder some people even survive leaving the house between September and April :laugh:

Go for it, enjoy it, then regale us with tales of derring do afterwards.

Top Bottom