Maybe unusual chain slip...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
I was out yesterday and the chain was skipping (side to side) on the three largest sprockets. Cable tension was out, was fine when not under pressure, but skipped when under load. Reindexed on the side of the road, all fine after that. Worth checking if it is skipping and not skating.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
No stiff link, and it's definitely skipping over the top.

But it's pretty much any gear, slightly less worse on the big ring than the little.

It was good in a way in that it stopped me hammering anything at Ride 100, but my god it's annoying.

Sometimes it's like it's just slipped one tooth, a big "Chung!" And carries on. Sometimes it slips/catches/slips/catches and so forth until I switch to a gear I'm putting a low enough torque on.

Forget standing on the pedal to start from a standstill.

As I said before the shifting is perfect in the workstand and very quiet on the whole otherwise...

gaijintendo

Veteran

But it's pretty much any gear, slightly less worse on the big ring than the little.

It was good in a way in that it stopped me hammering anything at Ride 100, but my god it's annoying.

Sometimes it's like it's just slipped one tooth, a big "Chung!" And carries on. Sometimes it slips/catches/slips/catches and so forth until I switch to a gear I'm putting a low enough torque on.

As I said before the shifting is perfect in the workstand and very quiet on the whole otherwise...

I'm pretty sure when could make a chain slip roulette... but is there any way you have a few too many links in your chain? If it was a bit loose it would allow some rotation, and then this kind of nonsense.

Last edited:

Ventura

I had the same problem going round the Isle of Wight, came to the first decent hill and the chain just skated over the top of the sprocket, ruined any chance of making it up the zig zag road. New cassette fixed the problem straight away.

gbb

Legendary Member

What wheel is that on. While I've never suffered cassette wear that caused skipping / slippage so cant comment on that equally likely cause. that does sound like a freehub problem.
How old is the transmission, how much wear is currently on the chain, how many chains to the current cassette are the questions I'd be asking myself.

screenman

Legendary Member
Have you had a rear mech alignment done?

Top Bottom