Maybe we just weren't elitist enough for the ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Can you (or another contributor) provide a link to the accounts of a sportive showing how little or much organisers are 'making', whether as a profit for the commercial organising company or the charity (and I acknowledge there's sometimes overlap)?

Since it was @YukonBoy who made the claim, I'll leave it to him to back up his assertion. Or retract it if he can't provide the relevant evidence.

GilesM

Legendary Member
If it weren't for that "other stuff", I wouldn't need to charge an entry fee for my events. QED.

I'm sure that's correct, and I'm very happy that people enjoy your events, but they are still paying cash to go for a bike ride on a public roads.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Most of a sportive cost is profit for the organiser.
Since it was @YukonBoy who made the claim, I'll leave it to him to back up his assertion.
Can @YukonBoy (or another contributor) provide a link to the accounts of a sportive showing how little or much organisers are 'making', whether as a profit for the commercial organising company or the charity (and I acknowledge there's sometimes overlap)?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I used to do the accounts for a well known sportive company. I cannot reveal the numbers as that is confidential but there is serious profit involved. I am sure this does not come as a surprise to anyone. The income clearly exceeds the costs.

If a sportive organiser is prepared to publish their income vs. outgoings to show they are not making a profit then go ahead.

Tin Pot

Guru
I used to do the accounts for a well known sportive company. I cannot reveal the numbers as that is confidential but there is serious profit involved. I am sure this does not come as a surprise to anyone. The income clearly exceeds the costs.

If a sportive organiser is prepared to publish their income vs. outgoings to show they are not making a profit then go ahead.

Don't be so shy.

https://wikileaks.org/

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Not necessarily...
https://www.evanscycles.com/training-energy/ride-it-events_c/off_road-ride_type

<placeholder for shooting fish in a barrel emoticon>
Still somewhere the MTB'er could have gone alone for free?! First one I clicked on they advertised their MTB trails?! Cannock Chase ride £22 with Evans or Free?! https://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-8PYM6L

Plus by the looks of it still public land, don't know why I am struggling with it so much and most seem to think its fine and dandy. I genuinely couldn't arrised to look back and try and find your post about payment or informing the local council but if its free its outrageous!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I used to do the accounts for a well known sportive company.

I'm guessing you're talking about a company like UKCE or similar, and sure, they are big commercial companies operating for profit, but the vast majority of sportives in the UK are small affairs run by clubs and unpaid volunteers.

Andrew_P

I'm guessing you're talking about a company like UKCE or similar, and sure, they are big commercial companies operating for profit, but the vast majority of sportives in the UK are small affairs run by clubs and unpaid volunteers.
So we are talking at cross purposes then? I am taking particular umbrage with businesses running marketing driven events on public roads and woods, for profit and for marketing. I still think all sportives are paying for something that is essentially (riding a bike) free. but each to their own on that level.

Andrew_P

Why? What harm is it doing to you?
Well if I was a MTB as a for instance they are stopping me using that trail effectively for the event.

And in your case you didn't answer my polite and straightforward question do they have to pay to run their business on public infrastructure. Blimey you cannot even put up a market stall without getting hammered with costs. Private land charges people to park a car to sell on a boot sale. Well you get the picture its not rocket science.

Andrew_P

To remain consistent, I take the same umbrage with Dog Walking businesses using public parks to walk twenty+ dogs for free and the aggro that can cause.

Fark me you are making me sound like Victor Meldew, maybe its because as a business owner I get taxed to breathe and get barely anything back in return. So it could be envy I guess I just think its a nice earner for Evans Wiggle etc.to get people to pay (and make a profit) to become a captive audience for product placement and advertising (all charged for no doubt) a bit of staff overtime and a few flap jacks and bananas, same route every year I bet too so same signs no planning you can add cynic as well. For me its no different to someone putting up a pop shop in a retail centre and wondering why they get a bill

Ajax Bay

Guru
Audax UK charges organisers £7 to register an event, plus the cost of brevet cards and validation fees etc.
From the Audax UK Organisers Handbook:
"To calculate your entry fee you will need to consider the following expenditure:
Audax UK brevet card & validation charges. Current charges for the 2016/7 season are:
Brevet Cards (Black & White) 35p [minimum charge of £7.00]
Validation Fee 20p (For each rider completing the event)
• Hire of start/finish and control venues
• Catering at start/finish and/or controls
• Your own organiser’s expenses e.g. for route checking etc.
• Expenses for your helpers
• Printing route sheets etc.
• Donation to charity/club funds
Aim to set your entry fee to make a small surplus based on your expected number of
number of entrants; and related to the costs of putting on your event and the facilities offered."

Also a small additional charge is made to cover Paypal fees.

Top Bottom