Maybe we just weren't elitist enough for the ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
What an absolute bunch of lycra clad cockwombles. Thats all i have to say about yesterdays sportif my mate and me entered.

I wont be mentioning any clubs or charitys involved other than the fact that it was a farce from the second we turned up.

First batch of riders were supposed to set of at 9.30 on our ride over to the hq we saw at least 30 odd passing us on the planned route.

Get there only to be eyed up and down by the organsiser. Book in and then get told we are the last lot to go this was at 9.30.

Off we head and to say we didnt fit in around all the £2k + bikes and branded attire is an understatement. The group of 15 shot off and left us to our own devices.

10 miles in the broom wagen flys past us (when i say broom wagen it was basically one of the organisers on his bike basically time trailing it to catch up and win the race) He stopped and said he would make sure we got to the rest stop and then shot off again.

At this point we decided to ditch the sportif and follow the route stopping off for some grub and then tackling the biggest hill around. Still did 55 miles even if we didnt get our completing waterbottle.

For future reference said club may want to rewrite the ad and remove "a challenging sportif for all" needless to say said club wont be on my list of riding buddies.

Lesson learnt that unless you can avg 18mph or have a high spec high cost set up dont get involved with club arranged sportifs even when they say its for all.

We will be sticking to the sportifs that wiggle arrange from now on and the charity events around the local area.

That's clubs, and ( the vast majority ) of Sportives summed up nicely.

What an absolute bunch of lycra clad cockwombles. Thats all i have to say about yesterdays sportif my mate and me entered.

I wont be mentioning any clubs or charitys involved other than the fact that it was a farce from the second we turned up.

First batch of riders were supposed to set of at 9.30 on our ride over to the hq we saw at least 30 odd passing us on the planned route.

Get there only to be eyed up and down by the organsiser. Book in and then get told we are the last lot to go this was at 9.30.

Off we head and to say we didnt fit in around all the £2k + bikes and branded attire is an understatement. The group of 15 shot off and left us to our own devices.

10 miles in the broom wagen flys past us (when i say broom wagen it was basically one of the organisers on his bike basically time trailing it to catch up and win the race) He stopped and said he would make sure we got to the rest stop and then shot off again.

At this point we decided to ditch the sportif and follow the route stopping off for some grub and then tackling the biggest hill around. Still did 55 miles even if we didnt get our completing waterbottle.

For future reference said club may want to rewrite the ad and remove "a challenging sportif for all" needless to say said club wont be on my list of riding buddies.

Lesson learnt that unless you can avg 18mph or have a high spec high cost set up dont get involved with club arranged sportifs even when they say its for all.

We will be sticking to the sportifs that wiggle arrange from now on and the charity events around the local area.

I can't quite figure out what your issues are, other than perhaps the broom wagon wasn't a broom wagon.

You joined an event where you arrived in attire different from the rest. Would you like them to change to fit in with you? If you go to a black-tie dinner and arrive in a track suit, you will feel odd and people may notice. You may notice that they notice, but that's your issue, not theirs.

They had expensive bikes? So what? Do you want a special event for cheap bikes?

They were faster than you? So what? Events like this are where riders open the throttle and test themselves. Ride faster or not.

A group of 15 shot off and left you behind? Do you really expect strangers to wait for strangers? Why would they? They have trained a bit and want to go fast, you can't expect them to wait for you.

A lantern rouge is not a broom wagon. I think the person that swept on his bike was just there to communicate any crises back to the organisers, not to pick you up.

It sounds to me you arrived at an event with different objectives that your expectations. It is your problem, not theirs.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I can't quite figure out what your issues are, other than perhaps the broom wagon wasn't a broom wagon.

You joined an event where you arrived in attire different from the rest. Would you like them to change to fit in with you? If you go to a black-tie dinner and arrive in a track suit, you will feel odd and people may notice. You may notice that they notice, but that's your issue, not theirs.

They were faster than you? So what? Events like this are where riders open the throttle and test themselves. Ride faster or not.

A group of 15 shot off and left you behind? Do you really expect strangers to wait for strangers? Why would they? They have trained a bit and want to go fast, you can't expect them to wait for you.

A lantern rouge is not a broom wagon. I think the person that swept on his bike was just there to communicate any crises back to the organisers, not to pick you up.

It sounds to me you arrived at an event with different objectives that your expectations. It is your problem, not their's.
This is sort of what I thought as I read the OP.

Sounds like you may have a huge chip on your shoulder SteveC. I have done a few sportives including one that is privately organised (i.e, not one of the recognised annual 'charity' types) and despite not being a team kit wonker and not riding the 'normal' types of bike, have never felt uncomfortable or unwelcome.

Even when taking part in such rides where there are colleagues or mates (from cyclechat maybe) riding too, there is no compulsion or expectation to stick together unless this is specifically agreed before the start. It is not unusual to get split up due to varying pace/ability/traffic conditions and each rider will normally do the ride at his/her own pace. There is certainly no expectation that you will remain with your start group when there are staggered start times. This is done purely for safety reasons to prevent several hundred riders trying to disperse onto the local (open?) road network in one unmanageable block. Much more sensible to release the riders in smaller groups so they don't fall over each other or have incidents with the normal road users.

I reckon if you had arrived with a less prejudiced view of the other riders and organisation and simply concentrated on enjoying your ride rather than trying to pick faults in it you would have found that you actually had a whale of a time and would be chomping at the bit to book on the next one, and maybe trying to improve your average speed a little because it can be quite good fun when you realise that some of those fashion co-ordinated, top-shelf kit riders aren't actually that good or fast once you get over the psychological barriers that are holding you back :okay:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I don't do sportives, but I used to do the IoW Randonnee, which has become sadly sportive-like in recent years. The last time I did it, I was trundling up the hill at Freshwater at walking pace, being overtaken by clumps of lycra boys going full out. When I crested the top (no need to stop) I passed one of said boys puking his guts up on the verge. Have a nice ride, I thought.
And you never even stopped and asked if I was ok! ;)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That's clubs, and ( the vast majority ) of Sportives summed up nicely.

Oh that's a bit harsh. I've been a member of three Lancashire clubs and none behave this way. Each have always looked after riders who might be struggling on a particular ride.

In my current club, Chorley, we have four different ride levels and members are encouraged to step up a level when ready. If a new member turns out and after a couple of rides it's apparent he/she is on the wrong ride a quiet suggestion of building experience on another ride would be made.

As for sportives, yes there are some charity ones were less experienced riders behave this way, but I'd say the club organised events never have this behaviour.

I do think though there are some events, Manchester - Blackpool being one, where the behaviour of many participants leaves a huge amount to be desired. Personally I find it so embarrassing I'll never ride it again.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As for sportives, yes there are some charity ones were less experienced riders behave this way, but I'd say the club organised events never have this behaviour.

I do think though there are some events, Manchester - Blackpool being one, where the behaviour of many participants leaves a huge amount to be desired. Personally I find it so embarrassing I'll never ride it again.
I think you have missed the OP's point spectacularly!
SteveC isn't complaining about the clowns-on-bikes brigade that plague some of the more popular fun/charity ride events. His complaint is about perceived elitism of the riders and organisers not making anybody that doesn't fit the template of experienced club rider welcome.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I like the way this is going. My 'proper cyclist jar' hasn't had a top up in a while....

full-jpg.jpg

Debade

Über Member

It sounds to me you arrived at an event with different objectives that your expectations. It is your problem, not theirs.

What a shame that a Sportive event can't include all riders. I know some are designed to do that. Perhaps this one is not.

Most bicycling advocates learn quickly that bike clubs are not a great place to get support for the more casual, non-Lycra rider. Speaking in generalities, the clubs view biking as a competitive event. Casual riding and commuting are not included.

But, what a benefit clubs/Sportives could be for biking. The more riders, casual or 'time trail based' that are on the road add safety to the road. Encouraging the beginner or not as able cyclist, builds our numbers. More cyclists builds support for better roads, laws, and simply the expectation by motorists that there is a cyclist around every turn, which will lead to more careful driving. That is why I would love to see all events and clubs have a higher level of inclusion.

Sure, you can toss the guy out who is wearing shorts to the tuxedo party. Or, you can find a way to include them in the event and earn their gratitude and support.

Oh that's a bit harsh. I've been a member of three Lancashire clubs and none behave this way. Each have always looked after riders who might be struggling on a particular ride.

In my current club, Chorley, we have four different ride levels and members are encouraged to step up a level when ready. If a new member turns out and after a couple of rides it's apparent he/she is on the wrong ride a quiet suggestion of building experience on another ride would be made.

I rarely bother with organised Sportives, the only ( non closed road ) Sportives I have done, have left a lot to be desired. The Velo Birmingham yesterday, was a closed road number, and was not too bad, the only memorable incident was one complete idiot, who failed to understand the physics of taking a fast right hand bend, and moved into a disappearing space, sending me wide, towards some traffic cones. Then he made some comments, then he crashed. 1 total idiot rider out of 15000, was a very good ratio for a Sportive though:laugh:. It took me ages to find a club, local to me, that wasn't full of FP/RKW, but they can be found.

Top Bottom