Mazda 3 Skyactiv SE-L

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Ok anyone got good or bad to say about a Mazda ? Sons mini is shall we say toast , had to get rid. So we have spotted a Mazda 3 , 2015 plate low mileage and full service history . Reliable enough cars ? Jap cars usually are pretty good. It’s a 2.0litre but assume detuned as fuel efficiency seems quite good ?

Oh and used car prices are absolutely nuts :ohmy:

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Jap cars are usually very reliable. Our Honda was a superb car and still going with the new owner. He is going to look at it on Monday , reserved it till then. Ticks all the boxes . Only issue is finance for him !! Bank of mum and Dad may have to help out till he gets that in place .

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
I have a 2020 Mazda 3 and really like it I did have battery issues from new as bought during a lockdown and only used it 2 miles a week . I had there breakdown assistance out and they were surprised by any issues as they said they were reliable cars . Anyway issue got sorted faulty part of wiring loom replaced and no issues since but I am a low mileage user . The fuel economy is excellent for a 2lt engine .

mustang1

Guru
No personal experience but a neighbour has one, says they are super reliable and eco to run. Idk what year mileage it is but around 10 years old.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
All good to know, it’s only got 30k miles . FSH . However it may need brakes done before MOT as an advisory at last one . Hopefully been done . It will be a damm site better than his Mini which I brought back from the dead and got rid of toot sweet for what price I was offered.

I think Mazda's typically avoid turbo's as they have poor long term reliability and Mazda take long term ownership costs very seriously. The newer Mazda's are very stylish and very premium looking inside and have superb engineering which I guess is down to avoiding less reliable components partly. The only thing bad about Japanese cars is when they get very old and components start failing those parts can be expensive to replace. I'd probably see a Japanese car as reliable for the first 10-15 years but after that perhaps you'd have to assess them on an individual basis.

The reliabilityindex which is no longer available live but showed fantastic reliability for Mazda's and the site has no bias at all, its data is based on warranty claims so cannot be manipulated like a survey.

https://web.archive.org/web/20201102203216/https://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

GuyBoden

Guru
We have had many Mazda cars, including a new Mazda3, it is very reliable, if a bit boring with bland interior. Some years ago we had the then new Mazda RX8 with a rotary engine, I loved driving the RX8. We'll probably get an electric Mazda next.

Mazda3 Verdict:
Bland and boring, but very reliable. No repairs needed so far.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It is a while ago now, but, had a "run" of Mazdas. A 323F, A 3 (diesel), Two Mazda 2s. An MX5. All were incredibly reliable. The MX5 in particular, we drove it all over Europe France, Portugal, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic, and UK of course. I made the mistake of trading the Mazda MX5 for a BMW, one of the least reliable cars I have ever owned!

gbb

Legendary Member
I have the Sport Nav (2018)
The 2ltr naturally aspirated engine is powerful enough for most, certainly economical if driven sensibly. My 15 mile commute returns 60mpg but it is mostly motorway, i tend to drive between 60 and 65 , but equally accelerates briskly enough if you want it to.
Cabin is noisy, too noisy IMO but maybe because the Sport Nav has lower profile 18 inch wheels...maybe.
Bose radio, lots of people make a thing of it but i'm not that impressed. Because the cabin in mine is fairly noisy, it kinda overpowers the radio a bit, but again, that may be tyre choice and 18 inch low profiles.
HUD is brilliant, instantly displays any changes in speed limits and you current speed, also some basic Satnav info if you're using it.
Satnav is fairy good, open the centre console bin between the seats, the Nav SD car goes in there. If it's not there, ask why or you may end up having to get a replacement.
6 speed gearbox is lovely, comfort is good.
Its possibly the best car i've owned, love the looks, love the interior but it has it's shortcomings. Nothing major, just niggles really. I'd have another without doubt.

siadwell

Guru
I think Mazda's typically avoid turbo's as they have poor long term reliability and Mazda take long term ownership costs very seriously.
Yes, whilst VAG and other manufacturers have been putting out compact SUVs/crossovers with small turbo-charged petrol engines to give an acceptable mix of economy and performance, Mazda stuck with larger, normally-aspirated engines in the CX-3 and CX-5, to give similar results but without the added complexity.

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Ironically, the simpler larger capacity engine without succumbing to smaller more complex systems actually pays dividends.
TBF, the whole car is designed light, boot trim, lining, soundproofing, panels, are all quite lightweight.

I often see people claim the Mazda 3 petrol is £30 PA duty....i'm not sure it is, i'm think it's more like £130

My manager has a Tucson, 1.5 turbo diesel. i know its a fair sized vehicle but he only gets around 45 mpg real world driving...and he's not heavy footed, doesnt drive fast.

Top Bottom