Mazda 3 Skyactiv SE-L

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I've had 2, much older than what your looking at. I bought an MX5 that was 9 years old, looked at loads at various ages and so many were rusty underneath. I got a good one and undersealed it. Since sold it on. Now I have a Mazda 2 that I bought in a hurry, it's a 61 plate. Has lots of surface rust underneath, probably going to spray it with cavity wax underneath to get a few more years out of it. Both these cars are petrol and really reliable. I've read bad things about Mazda diesels.

There great cars, but if I was going to keep one until it was over 10 years old I'd definitely add some underbody protection, as they are seriously lacking it out of the factory. That's just in my experience though. Maybe they've improved it hopefully. If your the type of person that doesn't run a car into the ground it's not an issue.

Reliable and fun cars to drive though and look good.

gbb

Legendary Member
An example of what reasonably careful driving the 2 ltr petrol gets you..
20220719_154620.jpg

Tbf, it's a fairly straight 15 mile commute, a bit more downhill than up and a reasonably tail breeze at 40c, everything going right...plus I had Airtcon on for maybe 1/2 the journey. Mostly 60 to 65 mph E10 fuel.

Attachments

• 20220719_154620.jpg
    20220719_154620.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 2
Ok anyone got good or bad to say about a Mazda ? Sons mini is shall we say toast , had to get rid. So we have spotted a Mazda 3 , 2015 plate low mileage and full service history . Reliable enough cars ? Jap cars usually are pretty good. It’s a 2.0litre but assume detuned as fuel efficiency seems quite good ?

Oh and used car prices are absolutely nuts :ohmy:

Wifey has a 2018 Mazda 3. we like it very much. the driver's seat, for me, on long trips. gets uncomfortable & I have to put a folded towel down under me. the side bolsters don't fit my larger "frame" I think. the towel is folded to fit between the side bolsters & I just sit on it. doesn't bother her, but then, she is petite

gbb

Legendary Member
Longer term economy, just had a week in Weymouth, circa 600 / 700 miles driving, motorway, in heavy traffic jams, very slow stop go traffic around Weymouth (.lucky to make 35 mpg in those conditions)...overall economy for the trip was 51 mpg.

Jameshow

Veteran
Ironically, the simpler larger capacity engine without succumbing to smaller more complex systems actually pays dividends.
TBF, the whole car is designed light, boot trim, lining, soundproofing, panels, are all quite lightweight.

I often see people claim the Mazda 3 petrol is £30 PA duty....i'm not sure it is, i'm think it's more like £130

My manager has a Tucson, 1.5 turbo diesel. i know its a fair sized vehicle but he only gets around 45 mpg real world driving...and he's not heavy footed, doesnt drive fast.

You can't get a 1.5tonne? 4x4 brick to be efficient whatever the engine.. My mates have both got them and get 45mph.

Interesting view on larger engines.. didn't know that.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Well son no2 is very happy so far with his . £30 a year road fund licence. Seems frugal on the fuel for a 2 litre. Cabin is a wee bit noisy but I’ve been in a lot worse. It’s a nice place to sit. Comfy and I’ve had a couple of drives of it, it’s nippy enough .

It is a while ago now, but, had a "run" of Mazdas. A 323F, A 3 (diesel), Two Mazda 2s. An MX5. All were incredibly reliable. The MX5 in particular, we drove it all over Europe France, Portugal, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic, and UK of course. I made the mistake of trading the Mazda MX5 for a BMW, one of the least reliable cars I have ever owned!
If there is a broken down car around here it’s always a BMW or an Audi. Says a lot about reliability of the brand in my opinion.

gbb

Legendary Member
Well son no2 is very happy so far with his . £30 a year road fund licence. Seems frugal on the fuel for a 2 litre. Cabin is a wee bit noisy but I’ve been in a lot worse. It’s a nice place to sit. Comfy and I’ve had a couple of drives of it, it’s nippy enough .

Nice.
The Mazda 3 Sport Nav (lower profile tyres, 18 inch wheels etc) ...is the only car i ever owned where people have actually said to me....'that's a really nice looking car :okay:'
3 times that's happened when i have been washing it, it's a surprise when a passer by / stranger feels the need to let you know.

First time, i'd not long got it, i was washing it as a maybe 12/13 year old boy came cycling past, did a double take and shouted....'phoar, nice car mate :okay:'

:laugh:

Top Bottom