Me, my dog and my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
I am a definite supporter of the Walky Dog (fixed to my commuter - not putting it on my good bike - no way Pedro).
It does also depend on the dog. My staff lurcher cross loves it and runs alongside for up to 10 miles. She can also reach 30 mph which surprised the hell out of me. The only time it proved to be a problem was when a hare got scared out of the undergrowth by us right in front of her and she went for it. That became interesting very quickly and resulted in a few cuts and bruises for me and my bike being dragged by my dog for about 100 yards before she gave up trying to chase the hare with about 20 kg of bike hanging off her harness.
My other dog who is a total bitza can't seem to get the hang of it and wants to run in front of the wheels. That gets scary.
I would never use a collar when doing this - only ever a 4 point harness as a minimum.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I got this for my labrador and she absolutely loves going out with the bike. The spring coil works brilliantly when she tries to dive of course after a squirrel or does an abrupt stop for a call of nature. Ten miles is about her limit at an average speed of 5-6 mph, so it's better exercise for her than me, though extremely convenient if I want to get some heavy items from the village.

The trailer, on the other hand, is great exercise for me (she weighs 25-30 kgs) but torture for my eardrums as she howls the whole way. :cry:

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
I got this for my labrador and she absolutely loves going out with the bike. The spring coil works brilliantly when she tries to dive of course after a squirrel or does an abrupt stop for a call of nature. Ten miles is about her limit at an average speed of 5-6 mph, so it's better exercise for her than me, though extremely convenient if I want to get some heavy items from the village.

The trailer, on the other hand, is great exercise for me (she weighs 25-30 kgs) but torture for my eardrums as she howls the whole way. :cry:
I thought about getting one of those but went for the Walky Dog as the spring is built inside it and I think it will weather better.
I could be wrong though.....

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I'm guessing there's not much between them. All I know is that anything is better than me holding the lead and both cycling and steering at the same time. Even the howling beast in her trailer is better than that!

Top Bottom