Me, my dog and my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I'm sure others are in the same boat of being a cyclist, dog owner, parent, full time employment ... the list goes on!!

Currently I'm trying to get out on my bike most days for an hour or two, time permitting, but then I'm constantly feeling guilty about my poor dog who should be out for a few hours every day!

Idea 1 was to combine cycling and exercising my dog. This looks a total nightmare!

Idea 2 is to cut back on the cycling and start going 'rambling' or perhaps even hill climbing with my dog. Basically making the walks more exciting and challenging to benefit both of us.

I need to get fitter and burn fat so this is also a consideration.

How do you make it work?

Never tried it, (and I have reservations especially with a bigger dog)....but there is always this:

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
She would jump on passers by, that's my only ongoing problem with her. So she'd need to be on a lead probably.

I only have a road bike which complicates matters also.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Never tried it, (and I have reservations especially with a bigger dog)....but there is always this:

I liked that at first, then realised it looks like you could do about 5 mph. Which isn't really cycling as I know it! Can't imagine it'd be safe doing 15 mph with my dog tied to the bike...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't like the look of dogs being tied to a bike as the owner peddles along the road, or the dog unleashed running alongside which is even more dangerous and just as cruel. How many times have a seen a chav on a mountain bike with Tyson running alongside i don't know, but every time i see it i feel uneasy in case Tyson decides to bite someone who's walking or cycling by.
I'd stick to the hill climbing. It's safer and more beneficial to you and your dog.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
[QUOTE 3824309, member: 259"]Depends on the pooch
I could cycle with my immaculately behaved keeshond trotting alongside, but I would be on a death trap with the Samoyed, who is thick as two short planks and everybody's mate.[/QUOTE]

Me to a tee, Neville the lurcher will lope alongside me on his lead quite happily keeping perfect pace & distance. Izzy, greyhound, couldn't get the notion of not crossing in front and catching her bum on the wheel.

@ChrisV have you thought of picking up a Gumtree (!!) cheapo MTB or Hybrid & giving it a go, both these 2 are fascinated by everyone & everything usually but totally different manners when being run with my bike

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Me to a tee, Neville the lurcher will lope alongside me on his lead quite happily keeping perfect pace & distance. Izzy, greyhound, couldn't get the notion of not crossing in front and catching her bum on the wheel.

@ChrisV have you thought of picking up a Gumtree (!!) cheapo MTB or Hybrid & giving it a go, both these 2 are fascinated by everyone & everything usually but totally different manners when being run with my bike

The bike I have - Whyte Suffolk - is ok for light off-roading, so could attempt the canal or something.

I take it off the lead is the sensible route? Having her secured to my bike looks scary.

Also, how fast/long can a fit dog run at? Would I need to keep stopping every few miles?

Cavalol

Guru
Haha, tried cycling with him besides me running for about 300 yards tops and just gave up. Our dog is ace, but sadly he's terrible at actual walking or running, instead preferring to sniff at anything/everything and just do whatever he wants.
My (short lived) solutions...
ollie sidecara.jpg
ollietrailerking.jpg

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm sure others are in the same boat of being a cyclist, dog owner, parent, full time employment ... the list goes on!!

Currently I'm trying to get out on my bike most days for an hour or two, time permitting, but then I'm constantly feeling guilty about my poor dog who should be out for a few hours every day!

Idea 1 was to combine cycling and exercising my dog. This looks a total nightmare!

Idea 2 is to cut back on the cycling and start going 'rambling' or perhaps even hill climbing with my dog. Basically making the walks more exciting and challenging to benefit both of us.

I need to get fitter and burn fat so this is also a consideration.

How do you make it work?
Keep them separate. walk the dog when it needs walking. Cycle when you need to cycle.
I say this as someone who once tried to combine dog walking and running. I only did it once.

Shaun

Founder
Cycle one evening, walk the dog the other and so on. This way you can cycle further and for longer on your cycling nights, and have a "rest" day in between rides whilst you get you (and the dog) fitter on "walkies!" nights. :okay:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The bike I have - Whyte Suffolk - is ok for light off-roading, so could attempt the canal or something.

I take it off the lead is the sensible route? Having her secured to my bike looks scary.

Also, how fast/long can a fit dog run at? Would I need to keep stopping every few miles?

It all depends on the dog. I use the lead round my wrist with the sensible one & I've got one who will run leadless beside me & one that just doesn't get it, all greyhounds / lurchers.

Mine get a short fast runs because that is their nature, if you've got a dog with stamina that you can walk all day with then it'll take similar on the bike.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

It all depends on the dog. I use the lead round my wrist with the sensible one & I've got one who will run leadless beside me & one that just doesn't get it, all greyhounds / lurchers.

Mine get a short fast runs because that is their nature, if you've got a dog with stamina that you can walk all day with then it'll take similar on the bike.

Top Bottom