Meal ideas for a veggie that is also on a low/no carb' diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As per title.
I have a visitor this week with these restrictions.
My 1st thought was a garlic pasta with veg but then realised pasta is out.
Thoughts wanted.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tell 'em to bring their own food ! :whistle: Can't be doing pasta with a low carb diet, so get them some lettuce !

yello

Tell 'em to bring their own food

In all seriousness, a version of that suggestion might be the way to go. Even if it's only to suggest they provide you with menus, ideas, etc. The low/no carb area particularly is probably difficult for those that have no idea what it entails, as it does require research etc.

I don't think you can be expected (depending on your own skills, knowledge, etc) to provide such meals so a conversation of some form is probably a good idea. They might even be happy to wave their rules for their duration of stay with you. You won't know unless you ask.

Edit: I think I may have misread. We're talking one meal rather than a week of?

Last edited:
I was thinking initially of some sort of veggie stew with legumes for protein, or a salad with lots of avocado and legumes there, too.
But here's a much better solution:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/low-carb-vegetarian-recipes

Edited to add - if they're veggie as opposed to vegan, don't forget you can probably use dairy and egg - check with them first, though, but being able to use eggs and cheese gives you much more flexibility as to 'what to cook'.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
As per title.
I have a visitor this week with these restrictions.
My 1st thought was a garlic pasta with veg but then realised pasta is out.
Thoughts wanted.

Ask them what they might like. Veggie curry with squash, cauliflower, spinach, hopefully chickpeas (if they're not fanatical no carb)

Last edited:

markemark

Über Member
Aubergine parmigiana. Can turn it into vegan with the correct 'cheese' if required. Lovely with a salad.

It's a great dinner party meal as can be prepared ahead of time and stuck in the over when needed. It's also scalable and one dish meals are great as they can be stuck in the middle of the table and people help themselves.

Last edited:
I would go with asking them for ideas as you are not experienced in that sort of food

and have a mushroom omelette available for emergencies (does this comply???)

presta

Guru
Here's a list of fruit & veg you can rule out, they all contain carbs:

Apples
Apricot
Aubergine
Baked Beans
Bananas
Blueberries
Broad Beans
Broccoli
Butternut Squash
Cannellini Beans
Carrots
Cauliflower
Chickpeas
Chilli
Coconut
Courgette
Garlic
Ginger
Grapes
Green Beans
Kidney Beans
Kiwi
Leeks
Lemon
Mango
Mushrooms
Nectarine
Onion
Orange
Papaya
Parsnip
Pear
Peas
Peppers
Persimmon
Pineapple
Plums
Potatoes
Radish
Sprouts
Strawberries
Sweet Corn
Sweet Potato
Tomato
Turnip

How about a bottle of olive oil to drink?

Top Bottom