Meaning of 'A droite'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

normanp

When in France does 'a droite' mean 'move to the right, I'm coming through on the left'? I'm confused as here 'on your right' means 'I'm coming through on your right so please move left' - or am I confused?

Mortiroloboy

A droite- the right a gauche- the left, a tout droit - straight ahead.

Monty Dog

'A droit' would mean a rider coming through on your righthand side so stay left and 'a gauche' - on your left, which would be the normal side for overtaking in Europe.

I think you'll find that a droit is actually a small terracotta gnome. Produced in the caves of the Gironde region of France droits are kept on a special shelf to ward off pantry lice. They enjoyed a recent surge in popularity when Paris Hilton replaced her chihuaha with a Swarovski encrusted droit for a visit to France, Europe. It's all true, Wikipedia told me so. :?:

Jonathan M

Monty Dog said:
'A droit' would mean a rider coming through on your righthand side so stay left and 'a gauche' - on your left, which would be the normal side for overtaking in Europe.

In france, if you are told "a droite" I think it means keep right, as you are about to be passed on your left hand side.

skwerl

Jonathan M;42262][quote name= said:

In france, if you are told "a droite" I think it means keep right, as you are about to be passed on your left hand side.[/quote]

I'd second that. If you were saying "I'm passing on your right" wouldn't it be "en droite"?
"a droite" would be a shortened version of "restez a votre droite", or some such

asterix

Comrade Member
Chuffy said:
I think you'll find that a droit is actually a small terracotta gnome. Produced in the caves of the Gironde region of France droits are kept on a special shelf to ward off pantry lice. They enjoyed a recent surge in popularity when Paris Hilton replaced her chihuaha with a Swarovski encrusted droit for a visit to France, Europe. It's all true, Wikipedia told me so. :ohmy:

I think you were reading one of the bits written by the CIA..

e.g.

On the profile of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the tool indicates that a worker on the CIA network reportedly added the exclamation "Wahhhhhh!" before a section on the leader's plans for his presidency.

A warning on the profile of the anonymous editor reads: "You have recently vandalised a Wikipedia article, and you are now being asked to stop this type of behaviour."

Globalti

Legendary Member
I disagree. I have lived in France for three years and I would understand it to mean "On your right". But I do agree that a French cyclist wouldn't pass you on your right, so what do I know?

vickster

Legendary Member
I disagree. I have lived in France for three years and I would understand it to mean "On your right". But I do agree that a French cyclist wouldn't pass you on your right, so what do I know?
Was that in 2007 when the OP was started and the previous last post was made? :laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well that's weird. I answered that post by asterix thinking it was new today and not dating from 2007. How did it suddenly pop up in General Cycling Discussions?

Top Bottom