1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meaning of 'A droite'?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by normanp, 6 Jul 2007.

1. normanp

normanp New Member

When in France does 'a droite' mean 'move to the right, I'm coming through on the left'? I'm confused as here 'on your right' means 'I'm coming through on your right so please move left' - or am I confused?

2. Mortiroloboy

Mortiroloboy New Member

A droite- the right a gauche- the left, a tout droit - straight ahead.

3. Monty Dog

Monty Dog New Member

'A droit' would mean a rider coming through on your righthand side so stay left and 'a gauche' - on your left, which would be the normal side for overtaking in Europe.

4. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

I think you'll find that a droit is actually a small terracotta gnome. Produced in the caves of the Gironde region of France droits are kept on a special shelf to ward off pantry lice. They enjoyed a recent surge in popularity when Paris Hilton replaced her chihuaha with a Swarovski encrusted droit for a visit to France, Europe. It's all true, Wikipedia told me so. :?:

5. Jonathan M

Jonathan M New Member

In france, if you are told "a droite" I think it means keep right, as you are about to be passed on your left hand side.

6. skwerl

skwerl New Member

In france, if you are told "a droite" I think it means keep right, as you are about to be passed on your left hand side.[/quote]

I'd second that. If you were saying "I'm passing on your right" wouldn't it be "en droite"?
    "a droite" would be a shortened version of "restez a votre droite", or some such

7. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

I think you were reading one of the bits written by the CIA..

e.g.