Measuring the depth of potholes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got a job after university measuring the depth of potholes. It wasn’t a career I had planned on, I just kind of fell into it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I tend to use my axle to measure the holes around here - if the axle is lower than the surrounding tarmac it is a big one. Since the recent bad weather my bunny-hop technique has been tested.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Everyone knows how high a tin (of tomatoes) is.

Attachments

• Pothole-TinSize-Ruler-05012018.jpg
    Pothole-TinSize-Ruler-05012018.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Pothole-View1-05012018.jpg
    Pothole-View1-05012018.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 47

Drago

Legendary Member
There have been many comments regarding poor road surfaces in recent months but I think some of us may have been measuring the pothole depths incorrectly.
Some tips here from Cheshire West roads authority.....

View: https://twitter.com/Go_CheshireWest/status/971330505248509954

An amusing thread:whistle:

The chap pictured is doing it wrong. By using a short level, he is measuring a smaller pot hole using a datum point from within a large pothole. This will give a lower figure that if he had taken that datum from the level of the road surface itself.

50mm, near as dammit 2", seems a helluva deep level to still not require corrective works, particularly as over the eyars people have sued successfully for damage or injury from irregularities as small as 1/2".

dodgy

The twitter thread has been entertaining, thing it really lit up when Chris Boardman retweeted it.

Top Bottom