Meat and dairy analogues/replacers, what's good and what's bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Back in 1976...ICI's Pruteen

What is claimed to be the world's largest fermenter will form the heart of a novel operation due to go up at Imperial Chemical Industries' Billingham complex on England's east coast. Inside will grow bacteria that after harvesting and drying will be the basis of a high-protein animal feed supplement, tradenamed Pruteen. Annual output capability will be 50,000 to 75,000 metric tons. When the $70 million facility begins operation late in 1979, it will mark a new phase in the activities of ICT's agricultural division.

Apart from the unusual fermenter, the technology will include a number of unique features. The bacteria, a strain of Methylophilus methylotrophus, will grow on a mixture of air, ammonia, methanol, and nutrient salts. Fermentation will be continuous. A novel flocculation and flotation technique will be used to recover the bacteria. And the entire operation will run under sterile conditions.

Came online in the early 80s and I think died a death due to Methanol being an expensive fuel for fermentation. However, the learnings went-on to deliver Quorn with Rank Hovis McDougall.

As a Food student at the time it was a brave new world!

The rest is history....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn
It can't be long until proper lab grown meat goes into production, which will raise some interesting ethical issues.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I once worked for a company that tried to make a Quorn type product. It's remarkably difficult!
Which company was that if you don’t mind me asking?

Adam4868

Guru
We’ve tried quite a few of the sausage/burger replacements, and really like the Linda McC. items.
Mrs SnG absolutely hated the Richmond version of their sausages, as they were to similar to the meat versions, so we don’t have them anymore.
Just curious that you like the Linda Mccartney sausage/burgers.But not the Richmond sausages as there too like meat?
What did you think they were going to be like :laugh:

Just curious that you like the Linda Mccartney sausage/burgers.But not the Richmond sausages as there too like meat?
What did you think they were going to be like :laugh:
😂
I actually was quite surprised at the taste and texture similarity, but they did seem to be a little over processed, which indicated that the original meat variety may also be quite over processed.
The L McC variety is something we are now used to, and complete our desire to have a ‘sausage and mash’ type meal, without the meat.
Your comment did make me smile!

johnblack

Über Member
Megas Yeeros do vegan kebab meat, my daughter had it the other night, her thoughts were "it's edible" so take that as you will. I had the pork, chicken and lamb kebab which was extremely edible.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
From todays edition of The Economist:

Print me a pork pie, Scotty.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I can't remember how public the project ever was, so I'd prefer not to say!

Alternative proteins are very hot though right now, including those produced by fermentation.....

https://gfi.org/press/1-5-billion-i...-435-million-in-the-next-pillar-fermentation/
Yep, I'd agree. Fo no though it's still Soy, Wheat, Pea and Quorn (outside of Tofu/Tempeh), but the tech in terms of textures and taste is improving rapidly.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

😂
I actually was quite surprised at the taste and texture similarity, but they did seem to be a little over processed, which indicated that the original meat variety may also be quite over processed.
The L McC variety is something we are now used to, and complete our desire to have a ‘sausage and mash’ type meal, without the meat.
Your comment did make me smile!
I think you might be on to something there....

Top Bottom