Mechanical brakes for wide tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Canti's might work,

00.5115.028.030.jpg

OP
OP
silva

silva

Über Member
Cantilevers were a by the dealer proposed solution, but not practical in my case - the brake system needs a mount point on the seat post - the cables follow thus that path, and would sit in the way when I have some long objects as luggage since I mount those along the path head tube > top tube > through rear rack.
I then thought of sacrifying a part of the rear wheels fender, this may allow even normal V-brakes. So that is the currently chosen solution to attempt.

OP
OP
silva

silva

Über Member
V-brakes posed a problem: the springs need a supporting point on the frame (a hole where the end of the spring fits in) as to have a backing to push the brake pads away from eachother. There was a solution found, a kinda waterdrop-shaped aluminium washer, a big hole in it to go over the fixing bolt and a small hole for the spring. But the big hole was round, basically the same problem shifted to another place. Me nor dealer were able to find out how it could work.
But I got a new idea: the hydraulic brake module pairs (front/rear wheel- have 1 module with a quickrelease-alike mount so fairly easy to remove and no tools needed. The other side is mounted along a long Torx bolt, hard to reach with a tool (my bags and covers sit in the way). The idea is now to make the other side also a quickrelease.
Does this idea has a chance to work, or did I miss something?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Have you looked at a cable uphanger? They work for cantis or centre-pulls. Good centre-pulls are pretty powerful, have good tyre clearance and are a bit easier to live with than cantis.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Come out of the 19th century & fit discs
I've had three bikes with discs and they were all awful, requiring more maintenance than rim brakes. DOT hydraulics are the worst. Apparently Shimano's mineral oil hydraulics are easier to live with.

D

Deleted member 26715

I've had mine for over 3 years & never had to touch them

OP
OP
silva

silva

Über Member
Come out of the 19th century & fit discs
No option since the bike's fixed gear is achieved by mounting the rear cog on the IS disc brake mount. I consider that also a nice way because it's dead easy to replace a rear cog, just an allen key - no special tools / extra work needed.

Btw what's wrong with the 19th century?
My experience is that old stuff was way more durable / reliable than stuff nowadays.
In some past, plastics were tough, elastic, resisted UV light, and stayed like that.
Nowadays, plastics etc just desintegrate by themselves, even in unused conditions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
silva

silva

Über Member
Or just fit sensibly wide tyres, rather than the biggest ones you can find, then you don't have the problem in the first place.....
The reason is that I sometimes have alot weight as luggage. My default (tools, spares, belts cords and elastics to mount stuff, in summer several liters water) is already 10+ kg, and sometimes I add 20-30-40-50 on top of that. And much less trouble / worry about the rails in the street. Sensible or not, I saw, and also experienced, a big practical benefit of 62 mm tyres. A wider rim would haven been even better.

D

Deleted member 26715

No option since the bike's fixed gear is achieved by mounting the rear cog on the IS disc brake mount. I consider that also a nice way because it's dead easy to replace a rear cog, just an allen key - no special tools / extra work needed.
Can you not have some spacers between the fixed gear & the disc & have them both on the same side?

OP
OP
silva

silva

Über Member
Can you not have some spacers between the fixed gear & the disc & have them both on the same side?
You mean a drivetrain cog / disc brake setup version of http://www.velosolo.co.uk/dualcog.html ?
Hard to see a chance on that. The linked dual cog setup already is only usable for normal 3/32" width chains, not 1/8" chains let alone the 1/8" with 3/16" side plates chain of my bike.
Also it likely is problematic to have disc brake and rear cog on same side mounted, since oil from the chain will spill over the disc brake.
Adding to that, my setup already has 4 mm spacers (between drivetrains rear cog and IS disc mount), to get the chainline straight. I don't think you can add spacers forever without running into mechanical troubles.

D

Deleted member 26715

Yes similar to the link, but as stated you would potentially have the same lining up problems, it's very difficult to envisage without exact images, not sure about the grease/oil issue as the diameters would be vastly different, you could also run a thin chain guard so no idea how effective it would be. The only other things that also springs to mind is that presumably to get the cog on the correct side you are effectively running the wheel in reverse. Which would mean that there would be no caliper mountings on that side of the frame.

Top Bottom