Mechanical doping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
And here's the video that started it all... from 2010.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nd13ARuvVE

I'm certainly not convinced by the 2010 video, but the more I watch the footage of Cancellara vs. Boonen and combine it with the bike changes and the test in that Dutch program, the less unlikely the accusations against Cancellara seem.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Surely the other riders would hear the motor, when I ride in a group I'm very aware of the noise of the bikes around me an electric motor would be very noticeable.

jarlrmai

Veteran
In the video the 1st time they show FC apparently using it he goes past that small group on smooth roads, but you can see that it's one of those moments when the group are slow and looking at each other to see if anyone is going to chase him.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
In the video the 1st time they show FC apparently using it he goes past that small group on smooth roads, but you can see that it's one of those moments when the group are slow and looking at each other to see if anyone is going to chase him.

Yeah that one isn't remotely convincing; it's the cobbled climb that makes me sit up and take a bit more notice - especially coupled with the bike changes.

OP
OP
themosquitoking
Yeah that one isn't remotely convincing; it's the cobbled climb that makes me sit up and take a bit more notice - especially coupled with the bike changes.
The acceleration there without getting out of the saddle was incredible.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The acceleration there without getting out of the saddle was incredible.

It does seem so, but to play devil's advocate, there is a more conventional art to 'seated acceleration' that's practiced by some of the best sprinters (like Cav). But you wouldn't think that a rider like Boonen would be so easily distanced from that position.

The Couch

Über Member
Looking at those videos again the acceleration looks as effortless as it was incredible. I can't remember any footage of even Merckx in his prime riding away from a lowly domestique like that.
I think you should watch back some old footage ;)

Here is another tv-report (called "Motorrace" :smile:), this time a Belgian show.
There's 3 parts..
Part 1 has an amateur racer using it against (retired) Museeuw. Without engine, the amateur does his best but can't beat Museeuw (on the Kwaremont), the second time with engine he absolutely destroys him.
Part 2 shows how the bike can be made, the Cancellara bit in the RvV and some interviews of e.g. Boonen and the Sporza Commentator
In part 3 the same amateur takes part in an amateur race. He ends in the front group (somewhere during the race he solos to this front group). Aftwerwards, he says using it isn't great (he has to go each time to the end of his steering wheel), but most of all he feels very guilty, he didn't go for the win, but he did e.g. catch someone back in the final lap (who could have won if he hadn't of course).

jarlrmai

Veteran
See the guilt part is something that makes me doubt it.

I can see the chemical/drug doping attitude and how that develops and the internal excuses some pro's used to justify it to themselves, Ie it was still them doing the work, everyone else was doing it, it makes up for that injury I had, I still trained as hard etc etc. But pressing a button to use an electric motor.... not sure even Lance would have done that.

Additionally with HD tv cameras now I can't see anyone getting away with it, unless DI2 etc can mask the turning on/off or a the team car can do it remotely (god this conspiracy theory shoot is like rabbit hole)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
See the guilt part is something that makes me doubt it.

I can see the chemical/drug doping attitude and how that develops and the internal excuses some pro's used to justify it to themselves, Ie it was still them doing the work, everyone else was doing it, it makes up for that injury I had, I still trained as hard etc etc. But pressing a button to use an electric motor.... not sure even Lance would have done that.

Additionally with HD tv cameras now I can't see anyone getting away with it, unless DI2 etc can mask the turning on/off or a the team car can do it remotely (god this conspiracy theory shoot is like rabbit hole)
People cheat, full stop. That applies in all walks of life and cycling is not immune as we all know.

Now people know what to look for concealing buttons and switches would be harder, but not impossible. You only need a pressure switch under the bar tape with the wiring running internally to be almost impossible to spot.

Setting a limit on Armstrong's lack of integrity is a hard thing to do too.

Top Bottom