Mechanical failure beyond repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
Gawd knows I'm not savvy but I suspect tonights bang and immediate stop was irreparable

the gears were playing up a bit and I thought the cables had gone a bit over christmas and the cold weather, I made a couple of roadside tweaks to the rear cable adjuster

and then there was a nasty noise involving some clattering and the back wheel locking, fortunately bumblin g up Leytonstone High Street rather than tearing down the A13 a bit earlier

not certain but I thinkthe front mech came away from the ring around the down tube, whizzed round the chain and snapped the rear mech clean off, that's still somewhere on the road, there was a loose bolt where I'd guess the front mech would have joined the frame, suspect something that was suposed to be solid on the other side of it fell off, managed to get the front mech off and had a quick hopeful attempt to see if it'd limp home, then waited for the lady wife

front and rear mech both gone is hopeless init?

off to the LBS tomorrow, sigh

any guesses at price for repair?

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
I threw into a bin mans cart in a fit of pique, I knida assumed that both parts will be relatively reasonable

if I want to ride it this week then a professional is going to have to tackle it

thanks for the encouragement though

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
whatever the Fratello with Xenon came with, sorry

I think so, gawd knows what happened to the rear mech but the chain was pretty firmly between the block and the hub but I got it back out reasonably easily

and something gave the sturdy rear strut of the mudguards a decent whack

it was a dark and cold and I slung it back in the bike shed when i got home, in the rian, and the LBS is 100yards away

if it's pricey I might consider having a go, but no way will I manage it without a full clear day and the train will drive me mad in the mean time

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
gawd, looked up the prices now, wish I'd kept the front and gone to look for the rear although at least some small bits of it are still on the bike, ah well

Of the top of my head you are looking at £150+ for the parts £40 ish work and that is if you do not need any thing doing to the wheel, Frame and your cassette is still ok. Even if you wish to do it your self get the frame looked at at the very least.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
bleeding hell, that much?

is it not just front mech, rear mech and labour? Where does £150 for parts come from, genuine question and I'm sure you're right, and £150+ in York is going to be a whole lot more in London n the pricey shop by Epping Forest

what would be wrong with the frame?

It is full Ultegra so if you are doing a like for like is it
£28 front mech
£55 rear mech
£19 chain
£35 cassette
£19 mech hanger

That is what I think you will be needing!

If your wheel needs rebuilding

£50+

And if you chain ring is damaged in any way

£25+ for a ring

Labour

£40+ all depending on how much work there is to do?

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Tynan,

Sounds like one thing that you learned from this, is a lesson that I've learned long ago, in my career as a heavy truck mechanic (23 years) and 5 more years as a high voltage electrical mechanic.
The lesson is this: NEVER, EVER, dustbin ANY old parts, until you have the machine put back together, and working!
Sometimes you need the old bit as a sample. Sometimes there is something on the old bit that you'll have to remove and install on the new bit. Sometimes the manufacturer has changed something, and you need to slightly modify the new bit to match the original.
On many an occassion, I have observed mechanics digging through the dumster, trying to find something that they threw away the night before, because the new widget that they ordered arrived without the doomahickey which you are supposed to reuse from the old one! ;-)

skwerl

spandex said:
It is full Ultegra so if you are doing a like for like is it

How can a Xenon Fratello be full Ultegra? It's running a Campag Xenon groupo.
The frame is steel so hanger isn't replaceable but should bend back into place if bent at all.

skwerl

Tynan - I'd take it in to Condor. How long have you had it? Condor are generally a bit more sympathetic, price-wise, when working on their own bikes.

bonj2

skwerl said:
How can a Xenon Fratello be full Ultegra? It's running a Campag Xenon groupo.
The frame is steel so hanger isn't replaceable but should bend back into place if bent at all.
think what he meant is he should replace it with full ultegra :ohmy:
that right spandex

bonj2

Tynan said:
Gawd knows I'm not savvy but I suspect tonights bang and immediate stop was irreparable

the gears were playing up a bit and I thought the cables had gone a bit over christmas and the cold weather, I made a couple of roadside tweaks to the rear cable adjuster

and then there was a nasty noise involving some clattering and the back wheel locking, fortunately bumblin g up Leytonstone High Street rather than tearing down the A13 a bit earlier

not certain but I thinkthe front mech came away from the ring around the down tube, whizzed round the chain and snapped the rear mech clean off, that's still somewhere on the road, there was a loose bolt where I'd guess the front mech would have joined the frame, suspect something that was suposed to be solid on the other side of it fell off, managed to get the front mech off and had a quick hopeful attempt to see if it'd limp home, then waited for the lady wife

front and rear mech both gone is hopeless init?

off to the LBS tomorrow, sigh

any guesses at price for repair?
something very dodgy going on if thatis what's happened. sounds like the front mech was either dodgy or not fastened on right.

Top Bottom