Mechanical failure beyond repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I love Campag

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
LBS says in and out for less than £100

it is indeed Xenon but thank for thinking I might have Ultegra spandex

With hindsight I suspect the back mech was damaged in my ped collision at 20mph a few months ago

In the last few days the rear shifting went a little funny, shifting down from 4 to 5 didn't shift but instead made an odd noise like perspex rubbing together

I suspect a small crack slowly turned into a big one, the noise was my chance to check it and do something, I meant to last weekend but was too busy and it was too cold, for me anyway

LBS says the front and rear would have been scrap, but point taken fingers

I'm told wheel and frame and even chain are all fine, the chain ain't exactly, there's a couple of links that seem to been subjected to some unplanned strain and impact but can all be made good apparently

pending the mechanic getting a good look I suppose, the hanger is indeed 'a bit bent' but can/will be bent back if needed as skwr says

anyhow, my main point from Op was if that had happened on an audax with a dozen veteran crafty types carrying spares, was there anyway that could have been fixed up to limp home?

bonj2

Tynan said:
anyhow, my main point from Op was if that had happened on an audax with a dozen veteran crafty types carrying spares, was there anyway that could have been fixed up to limp home?
well for a start you can certainly ride without a front mech.

rear mech: if it was retrievable AND reattachable (unlikely), then you could have just put it back on and rode as normal.
if it was lost and/or broken beyond being reattached, then you could possibly have emergencarily single-speeded it, you would have obviously needed a chain tool. it would probably have been a bit slack, but would have worked as a limp-home.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
User3143 said:
Worse comes to the worst, take a few links out of the chain and run single speed. At least it will get you home.

is that right? I did have a chain tool on me too, it looked to me like the line of the train wasn;t going to work without the mechs, I tried half heartedly

scooting in road spds in the wet dark rush hour didn't appeal

'less than £100 certainly' erm, new front and rear mechs, cables and labour I think, the prices for the mechs came straight out of the dealer catalogue

zzpza

spandex said:
You can not single speed that bike as it does not have horizontal drop outs and with out a working chain tensioner it will not work.

not necessarily. i have vertical drop outs and no chain tensioner on my fixie. 39x17T was my frame's magic gear ratio.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If you weren't such an idle sod you could do it yourself, getting all the bits you need off ebay for £20. 'Course the downside is no bike while you wait for the right bits to turn up & arrive.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
...but it was meant jokingly. now i look at it in the cold light of CRT, it looks a bit rude. Wasn't meant to be. Apologies for any offense caused, Tynan. You abject slacker.:evil:

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
don't worry about me, hide like an elephant, I want it done quick and right first time, neither of those things can I do, I ride every weekday for two hours, no time for tinkering and the like

got a cleaner too so why would I fix my own bike, punctures and tyres and brakes are my limit

jeez

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
done

Xenon rear and veloce front, chain repaired and cleaned, new front tyre, Split to side wall noticed on the test ride by the mechanic)

£99.97

Top Bottom