Mechanical imcompetence as usual - help required with V brakes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

Okay so I just cleaned my hybrid, and a decent job of it too. But as usual, I had to release the brake cable to get the back wheel out. During cleaning, the bit of the brake cable that goes into the brake lever popped out of the hole where it goes in. Now, come hell or high water, I can't fix the bloody brake.

I don't know how to begin describing it. Whenever I slot the cable back into the lever, it won't stay there. Moving the outer, at the caliper end, I can get the brakes to *look* like they should then tighten up ok, but when I do, they just flick back outwards to the max.

What in God's name am I doing wrong?!

Stu

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Has the outer popped out of a guide elsewhere? I would check where it passes the seat post or perhaps the other end of the outer from the lever to the top tube. The set-up is mega simple so don't panic and just take the time to check the cable from start to finish.

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Cheers dude, trouble is I can't see any obvious problems. The contact points are the lever; where it enters the top tube (it's internal routed); the exit from the top tube and the bloody irritating thing on the caliper, correct?

Everything appears to be in place; the cable outer moves about (should it?). I am stumped. And useless with even simple mechanical works!

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

So, just to try to describe it more successfully, I can arrange all the cables, brakey bits etc so they look as if, when I let go of the brake arms, it would all be fine and dandy. But there is nothing keeping the cable outer in its slot at the lever end, so it just pops out.
??

Stu

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Might it be that this is not in correctly?
IMAG0341.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Right! If you pull the brake lever does this reveal a loose metal bit swinging freely? This bit should be attached to the lever and have a slot and some holes in it.

EDIT: cross post, the above picture answers my Q and it looks ok there.

Can you snap a shot of the cable outer where it goes into the adjuster barrel at the lever and a picture of the set-up at the V-brake end?

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Will do, though as you will see, it looks as if it should be ok. I can get the cable outer to sit in the lever slot but just get no purchase. If I physically pull the cable outer at the tob tube entry point, away from the back of the bike, it has the effect of making the brake do what a brake does. Likewise, If I hold the cable outer at that point hard, and then depress the brake lever, a braking action occurs - albeit a crap one. But the moment I let go of the cable outer, all braking dies.

Appreciate your help Skol.

Stu

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Well, I've totally ruined it now coz now that bit you called the cable "nipple" has flipped through 90 degrees, inside its cage, and can't be righted.

I f'king hate bike maintenance. What started out as a loving evening cleaning the bike has led to chaos, depression, and feelings of utter worthlessness!

Stu

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well, I'm flumoxed! Just like you say, it all looks right. The cable is clamped at the V-brake clamp ok and the crushing of the cable would suggest it hasn't slipped or moved from it's usual position. The outer is sat right at the lever end and the noodle (the curved metal tube) is seated ok at the brake end. It just looks as if suddenly the cable inner has grown by an inch or the outer has shrunk by the same amount???

Is it definitely internally routed? I don't suppose you could be getting it confused with a gear cable could you (top pull front mech?)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well, I've totally ruined it now coz now that bit you called the cable "nipple" has flipped through 90 degrees, inside its cage, and can't be righted.

I f'king hate bike maintenance. What started out as a loving evening cleaning the bike has led to chaos, depression, and feelings of utter worthlessness!

Stu

We are still talking about bike aren't we????? :laugh:

Top Bottom