Medium-duty long-reach hedge trimmer recommendation please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
I've heard @Fnaar likes a neatly trimmed bush.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Our garden hedge is protected under the terms of the conservation area. Although it's basically privet and needs keeping trim (it only takes an hour or two three times a year) I wouldn't want to lose it. After 80-odd years it's beginning to show quite a lot of biodiversity - the hedge itself has holly, rowan, cotoneaster and honeysuckle woven into it, mostly self-seeded, and there's a self-seeded oak seedling we're trying not to encourage. It also forms a shelter for lily-of-the-valley, wild garlic and bluebells.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Our garden hedge is protected under the terms of the conservation area. Although it's basically privet and needs keeping trim (it only takes an hour or two three times a year) I wouldn't want to lose it. After 80-odd years it's beginning to show quite a lot of biodiversity - the hedge itself has holly, rowan, cotoneaster and honeysuckle woven into it, mostly self-seeded, and there's a self-seeded oak seedling we're trying not to encourage. It also forms a shelter for lily-of-the-valley, wild garlic and bluebells.

That's interesting. So your hedges have special conditions? I'm interested as hedges normally fall outside of any TPOs. For my own benefit I would love to know more. Sometimes on these forums these posts come accross in the wrong tone so it's important you know this isn't a challenge I'm making. Simply curious. Many thanks.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That's interesting. So your hedges have special conditions? I'm interested as hedges normally fall outside of any TPOs. For my own benefit I would love to know more. Sometimes on these forums these posts come accross in the wrong tone so it's important you know this isn't a challenge I'm making. Simply curious. Many thanks.
Aren't domestic hedges covered by the Wildlife and Countryside Act?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Aren't domestic hedges covered by the Wildlife and Countryside Act?

Yes (regardless of ownership) but only if it damages or harms nesting birds. That's a violation of the WCA.

I had to look it up to get the wording right. I am very into wildlife and as it happens, I'm busy on other tasks during nesting so it doesn't affect my clients or the birds. I also clip hedges so the clients and birds get the benefit of any berries or fruit. (Visual and otherwise)

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
Screw fix do one for a lot less..i use it for work..ok but heavy ,Titan

I bought one of those. Worked well - for a week, then died.

Got a replacement, which I used for a few weeks, then put away for the winter
This spring, the fuel hoses had completely perished.

Last edited:
Long-reaching, you say:

hqdefault.jpg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The council's new website is missing the key information, but my memory is that the hedge is marked as one that should be maintained as a hedge, additional to the standard TPO on all trees. (We had to apply for permission to remove some ratty Leylandii in the back garden). Quite how much power the council has to enforce the "should" I don't know. It's a rare survivor of what once have been a uniform hedge in front of uniform houses, even though ours is one of the few that isn't a standard design semi.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The council's new website is missing the key information, but my memory is that the hedge is marked as one that should be maintained as a hedge, additional to the standard TPO on all trees. (We had to apply for permission to remove some ratty Leylandii in the back garden). Quite how much power the council has to enforce the "should" I don't know. It's a rare survivor of what once have been a uniform hedge in front of uniform houses, even though ours is one of the few that isn't a standard design semi.

Thank you.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I bought one of those. Worked well - for a week, then died.

Got a replacement, which I used for a few weeks, then put away for the winter
This spring, the fuel hoses had completely perished.
Seems to me that lots of modern garden kit isn't winterised or suited to being stored in the shed during the winter.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
`
At the merest whiff of a conservation area being thought about all our neighbours got uPVC double glazing installed, pronto.

Top Bottom