Mega fast London commuter tyres, Vittoria Voyager Hyper's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You can go a bit quicker in the school holidays, there's a little bit less traffic.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
To the OP, I have then on my CX bike. Your perception of fast and mine are completely different ! I find them sluggish and in fact not much faster than my rapid Ron CX tyres and I am being very honest ! Had quite a few deflations with them as well. However I do run them at high pressure but found out that they are very scary in the wet at these high pressures so now run them 10psi lower than I would normally . Will be swapping out for 28c Mich endurance tyres for winter !

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Your commute is roughly about the same as mine. the only incline I have to go through is the front of finsbury park just after the station. Garmin tells me is around 157.48ft. On a good day I can clock in at 28mins though I seem to average around 30-32mins depending on the conditions.

I go from Holborn to N17 via Islington/Finsbury Park.

I used to zip down towards Euston/Camden town and climb the big hill on the A503 but of course i found an easier route via Islington... I really should start doing the camden route again. Give me a nice workout! I remember doing it on my HOY Shizuoka which only had 7 or 8 gears and kitted with Marathon plus tyres. What a slog to get up hill that was!!

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I have never tried the Vittoria Voyager Hyper's but I am a big fan of Vittoria Randonneur's. I have recently gone back to them after trying out Schwalbe Marathon Original's as with the Marathons I would have to go up Bristol's Blackberry Hill in 2nd gear rather than 3rd in the Randonneurs which just seem quicker and quieter.

How can a tyre "be fast" or "slow"? The tyre has a tendency to move along at the same speed as the bike.

There is negligible difference between different tyres of the same type IME. I have had many different tyres and didnt notice anything. You may notice more drag if you switch to a different type of tyre, from MTB tyre to a road tyre for example.

nickr

Über Member
I fitted 35mm Vittoria Voyager Hypers to my CX bike today, replacing Scwalbe Centuries of the same size. Before and after fitting them, I did rolling resistance speed tests in Richmond Park. Both sets of tyres infated to 90PSI.

Century Voyager
Small hill 18MPH 18MPH

Long Hill 21MPM 27MPH

It is a damp windy day day so not conclusive.

Worryingly, I had the back wheel step out on the Richmond end roundabout with the new tyres, I was following another cyclist who had had no problem.

Love the look of the Voyages and a total weight loss of 616g is fantastic. I'm hoping the slip was a one off, as I said though - worrying.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Worryingly, I had the back wheel step out on the Richmond end roundabout with the new tyres, I was following another cyclist who had had no problem.

Love the look of the Voyages and a total weight loss of 616g is fantastic. I'm hoping the slip was a one off, as I said though - worrying.
I hope you're right. It wouldn't be the first time new tyres were a bit skiddy.

BurningLegs

Veteran
To the OP, I have then on my CX bike. Your perception of fast and mine are completely different ! I find them sluggish and in fact not much faster than my rapid Ron CX tyres and I am being very honest ! Had quite a few deflations with them as well. However I do run them at high pressure but found out that they are very scary in the wet at these high pressures so now run them 10psi lower than I would normally . Will be swapping out for 28c Mich endurance tyres for winter !

Do you have a CAADX? I bought one recently and did a couple of short rides on RapidRobs. I have swapped them out for Scwalbe One's which are lightening fast in comparison!

Top Bottom