Melanie Phillips article in today's Daily Mail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2185146, member: 259"]Melanie Philips is to journalism what Ayatollah Khomeni is to interior design.[/quote]

This may be true, but she does have a point, there is no excuse for bad behaviour by cyclists or any other road user.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Her articles in 'The Jewish Chronicle' border on trolling as well.

[QUOTE 2185146, member: 259"]Melanie Philips is to journalism what Ayatollah Khomeni is to interior design.
She's just attempting to get hits. Don't flatter her by clicking.[/quote]

deanE

Well you will stop at cafes for bacon sarnies. But no matter what you think of Ms Philips, and I am not sure that you need to believe that this is what she thinks, she is just writing an article for DM readers, there is a lot of truth in what she says, and a lot of idiots out there, both in cars and bikes, as well as walking. There have probably been as many cyclists injured by pedestrians walking off the edge of the pavement without looking as there have been pedestrians by errant cyclists. But the increase in cycling has been, IMO, accompanied by an increase in aggressive cyclists who cycle too fast for traffic conditions and impose their rights ( to be on the highway) over everyone else's. Whether they are “the youth of today”, MAMILs or OGIL, matters not. Just try not to be one of them.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Being an OGIL, I hate to break-it to many people here and to Ms Phillips that things haven't changed significantly since the '80s when I commuted in London, the major difference is there are probably more cyclists now than there were and congestion frustration must be pi55ing more drivers off.
There were always fights real bloody fisty fights, RLJing, poor behaviour and plenty smugness.
There was also less lycra, no helmets and no instant photography.
I recall some regular cycle commuters had a short wooden cosh on their handlebars to hit offending cars with. and whistles to attract their attention.
Nobody really cared then, we were relatively few, the weirdos on bikes.
But now we are many, and we're growing in numbers daily, and they are scared that we are right.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Being an OGIL, I hate to break-it to many people here and to Ms Phillips that things haven't changed significantly since the '80s when I commuted in London, the major difference is there are probably more cyclists now than there were and congestion frustration must be pi55ing more drivers off.
There were always fights real bloody fisty fights, RLJing, poor behaviour and plenty smugness.
I recall some regular cycle commuters had a short wooden cosh on their handlebars to hit offending cars with. and whistles to attract their attention.
But now we are many, and we're growing in numbers daily, and they are scared that we are right.

I am positively cultivating the smugness thing. Not only because it annoys Phillips, although I confess I struggle to think of a better reason.

I'm with you about little changing. I was cycling to school along Stamford Street in the 70s and cycling around London as a working man or student in the 80s.

I remember the whistles very clearly. I always thought them slightly shrill and silly - and a good way to lose the teeth in an endo.

I do not recall the coshes at all, despite being a motorcycle courier and keen cyclist whose other half was a bicycle courier.

What I do recall (no need for a cosh) was the habit of couriers generally to bring a clenched fist down hard on any door mirror that he or she considered was not being used as it should. Not regularly, but not infrequently either.

I recall cars being kicked, too. But the danger there is that the mass of the car results in the cyclist (or even motorcyclist) being pushed back across the lane by his own kick.

I did find that the lower traffic density at the onset of Congestion Charge was a boon. It was noticeable, as was the short-lived (and much earlier) Ring of Steel around the Square Mile.

I do not see motorists now as being scared. And I do not imagine they think that cyclists are right... As you said at the beginning of your post, things haven't changed significantly since the 80s.

Edit: What has changed is the volume of cyclists who appear not to enjoy cycling. This I cannot explain. In '75, '85, '95 and so on, one shared the road with cyclists who appeared to have been born riding and were in their element. These days, for every comfortable, competent commuter, one sees another who is either clueless or looks seriously out of their element or comfort zone. The streets habve not changed but they seem to have attracted some people quite unsuited to their hobby.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There are plenty of road users who think they are above the rules, which make driving an exercise in sensible cooperation. One example that really gets my blood boiling is the driver who, when there's a queue in the RH lane to go right at a junction or roundabout, drives up the empty left lane then cuts right in front of everybody who has been waiting patiently for their turn. No different to RLJers or pavement riders; they just happen to be in a car.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
These days, for every comfortable, competent commuter, one sees another who is either clueless or looks seriously out of their element or comfort zone. The streets habve not changed but they seem to have attracted some people quite unsuited to their hobby.
Surely we all looked like that, at least for a bit, when we started out?

For many (?most?) commuters cycling isn't (yet nor ever will be) a hobby, simply a means of transport to and from work. That the environment around said cyclists contains large heavy metal boxes, a proportion of which are operated by hostiles, and which may be moving at high relative speeds, requires a comfort zone of epic proportions or a hide of lead.

And thatlandan is a very London-centric place to cycle in with its own memes and morés. I consider myself a hardened cycle commuter. On occasion I'm berated by London-cyclist types when on two wheels, most often because I don't RLJ any more but sometimes because I don't ride as aggressively, or gutter hug so submissively, as they often do. The deadest of dead give aways is when one is aboard a Boris or a Brompton, both of which are looked down on by the hardcore urbanistas replete with dildo bars and all the other clichés. A manoeuvre I can perform, or choose not to perform, aboard my fixed is not worthy of comment. Same behaviour on a Boris or a Brommie and Mr Potty Mouth can't control his ire. Tis odd. Tis very odd. To a yokel like me anyway.

I did cycle commute in and around London from before, through, and after the days of the ring of steel and even worked as a cycle courier for a summer holiday job in '78 and '79.

Surely we all looked like that, at least for a bit, when we started out?

For many (?most?) commuters cycling isn't (yet nor ever will be) a hobby, simply a means of transport to and from work. That the environment around said cyclists contains large heavy metal boxes, a proportion of which are operated by hostiles, and which may be moving at high relative speeds, requires a comfort zone of epic proportions or a hide of lead.

And thatlandan is a very London-centric place to cycle in with its own memes and morés. I consider myself a hardened cycle commuter. On occasion I'm berated by London-cyclist types when on two wheels, most often because I don't RLJ any more but sometimes because I don't ride as aggressively, or gutter hug so submissively, as they often do. The deadest of dead give aways is when one is aboard a Boris or a Brompton, both of which are looked down on by the hardcore urbanistas replete with dildo bars and all the other clichés. A manoeuvre I can perform, or choose not to perform, aboard my fixed is not worthy of comment. Same behaviour on a Boris or a Brommie and Mr Potty Mouth can't control his ire. Tis odd. Tis very odd. To a yokel like me anyway.

I did cycle commute in and around London from before, through, and after the days of the ring of steel and even worked as a cycle courier for a summer holiday job in '78 and '79.

Yes, I worded that poorly. I knew what I meant, but the thought didn't translate into words.

We were all like that once. I suppose I'm grumpily saying that we should have grown out of being like that by the time we were 14....

But in the cold light that seems unreasonable.

And the people who seem not to be happy commuters are just as likely to include would-be gear-snob lycra-tarts as Borisistas or enclosed-chain creakers wobbling at the lights.

Itake back the post, but I sevretly remain highly dismissive of everybody who either started cycling a week before me or didn't take it up until a week after me. Too serious by half or Johhny-come-lately, every last one of them!

Top Bottom